Chapter 8 - Unanswered For The Better

Silkie POV

I waited for Marrowkai as I sat on the table. I was surprisingly light and he said that I weighed only a bit lighter than a Crawler.

I took it as a compliment and just waited. Marrowkai soon came back. "Alright, lets get to the point. You're an insect right?" He asked.

I tilt my head. "As in, a bug? No, I don't think so." I replied. Marrowkai nodded. "But you have insect features, correct?" He questioned.

I really didn't know anything about insects so I just shrugged. "Are you capable of flight?" Marrowkai asked.

"Drones only get wings when they're 10 years old." I told him. "Im only 9 so I can't fly yet."

"Well, what can you do?" Marrowkai said. I thought for a while. "I can climb trees a bit." I answered.

He nodded. "Does that explain why you have adaptabilities for climbing?" He asked.

I blinked at the skeleton mage. "What-" I stuttered. I have no idea what he just said.

Marrowkai sighed. "In simpler terms, can you climb easily with your long claws and seemingly prehensile tail?" I understood most of that.

"Yeah, a bit. But whats a prehensile tail?" I replied. "It means a tail that can be used as a third arm when climbing." Marrowkai said.

I nodded. He then proceeded to ask me more complicated questions. Most of them I asked him to say it in a simpler way.

But then he asked one last question. "Where is the location of the other Drones?" He said.

"Drone Island." I answered. "And where is that?" Marrowkai asked. I shrugged. "My mom said near the shores of this place or something like that." I replied.

"Is there any way of reaching or communicating with the others of your kind?" He questioned.

I looked away first to try and recall things my mom told me. I don't remember her saying anything-

Wait, a second. She did.

"My mom said Drones can sense each other from at least 10 km away." I told Marrowkai.

He looked at me. "Why didn't you tell me this before?" He said with slight annoyance.

"Firstly, you never asked. Second, I almost forgot it too." I told Marrowkai. He just scoffed and stood up.

"So if the Drone Island were only 10 km away, would you be able to take us there?" He asked.

"Maybe. But my mom said its more than 10 km." I stated. Marrowkai thought for a while.

"But what if you flew closer?" I heard him mumble. He looked at me. "When are you turning 10 years old?" He questioned.

"Next week." I smiled. I thought I saw Marrowkai smirk. "Good. I should tell Medusa about this."

He grabbed my leash and started leading me back to the room where Medusa was.

When we got there, Medusa was talking with an Eclipsor about an ambush or something.

She noticed me and Marrowkai enter the room. "So Marrowkai, any information?" She asked.

Marrowkai nodded. "Silkie is really cooperative and was able to answer my questions." He said. "And I may have thought of a way to track down the other Drones."

Medusa nodded. She looked at me. "Does she know?" She said. Marrowkai shook his head. "No, not yet. Hopefully it should stay that way."

I wondered what they were talking about. But Medusa already ordered a Juggerknight to take me back to my cell.

Once I was back there, I started thinking about what Medusa and Marrowkai were talking about.

But then I shrugged it off and sat down in my cell in boredom. I looked at the other cells and saw that there were other people there.

There was a guy with a greyish white helmet and had a quiver strapped on him. A girl with a dark blue cloak was beside him.

I also saw someone with a transculscent head. Inside, there was a burning flame.

I spotted a few Juggerknights and Eclipsors. I wondered why they were here. So I tried calling out to one of them.

"Hello?" I whispered. The Juggerknight looked at me. He growled and looked away. I wondered why but I continued trying to talk to him.

"Pssst. Sir, can you hear me?" I asked. The Juggerknight faced me and glared. "Shut up, you ugly lizard." He spat.

"Im not a lizard." I told him. "My name's Silkie. Whats yours?" The Juggerknight refused to look at me and reply.

"Whats your name, sir?" I asked again. When the Juggerknight realized I wouldn't leave him alone until he answered me, he groaned but replied.

"Massacre. Now leave me alone." He said. Massacre. Thats an unusual name. "Why are you here Massacre?" I called out to him again.

Massacre growled and muttered something under his breath. "Wouldn't you like to know." He said sarastically.

"Yeah, I would." I smiled. Massacre facepalmed. "Grrr fine. Im here because I tried to take down the Juggerknight leader." He answered.

"Why would you do that?" I kept asking him questions because I wanted to make a friend.

Massacre growled. "Because I hate our leader. Everyone does." He said. "Now no more questions."

I wanted to keep talking to him but I heard footsteps. I see a few Juggerknight guards walking past my cell.

They ignored me so I bet they were looking for someone else. And they were. They approached a different cell.

Inside, there was a guy who looked tired and hungry. A Juggerknight opened his cell.

The guy didn't even bother to move. The Juggerknight smirked and grabbed the guy by the neck.

The man started to choke, making the Juggerknight more satisfied. He then let the man go before signalling the other Juggerknight guards.

They dragged the man, who resisted but was too weak to fight back. Soon, they left the cells.

I look at Massacre who looked bored. "Who was that?" I asked. He glanced at me and sighed.

"An enslaved miner who tried to escape once." He replied. "But he was caught and taken here."

"Where did they take him?" I questioned. Massacre shrugged. "I don't know. For all I care he could be taking part in Marrowkai's ritual."

Ritual? What ritual? I wanted to ask more but Massacre moved farther into his cell.

I decided to do the same and tried to sleep. But with all these questions still unanswered and lingering in my head.

What really is this Chaos Empire?