Chapter 1

Y/N's POV
1962

Raven and I were sitting at a table in a pub while Charles was flirting with a woman across the room.

Raven was jealous of the woman, I could tell. She was giving her a death glare.

"Raven, they're going to notice you're starring" I said with a small sigh.

Raven got up and walked towards them, I followed her.

"Mutant and proud" We heard the woman say.

"Guess we have to buy our own drinks" Raven told Charles with an annoyed tone of voice.

The woman turned around to face Raven and I.

"Charles was just telling me that I'm like one of the first sea creatures that grew legs" The woman said with a flirty tone.

"Tiny bit sexier" Charles added.

I couldn't believe he had said that. Raven was right there. Charles might be a telepath, but he was completely oblivious to his friend's feeling towards him.

"I'm sorry. These are my sisters. Raven and Y/N" Charles said introducing us.

"Hi" I said as I shook her hand and Raven did the same but without saying a word.

"I'm Amy. What do you two study ?" Amy asked.

"Waitressing" Raven answered.

Raven changed the colour of one of her eyes.

"Oh, you have heterochromia too" Amy told Raven.

"What ?" Charles said as he looked at Raven and noticed what she had done.

Charles cleared his throat and gave Raven an angry look. Charles payed for his drink and we left.

"You did that on purpose" Charles screamed at Raven as we walked down the street.

"I did not" Raven said.

"I'm sorry Raven, but I'm going to have to agree with Charles on this one" I said.

"Why would I do it on purpose ? You know I can't control it sometimes" Raven explained.

"You've been doing a perfectly good job up until now"

"Mutant and proud" Raven said, imitating Amy.

"Is that only for the pretty mutations ? Or the invisible ones, like yours. But if you're a freak, better hide" Raven said, getting more and more annoyed.

"You're being ridiculous" Charles said.

"She's not wrong Charles. What would people think about Raven if she walked around in her natural blue form ? To mutants it would look beautiful and encouraging. But to humans she would look like a freak. No offence" I said.

"Thank you Y/N. At least someone tries to understand" Raven said, frustrated.

"Look I don't mean to sound like an old fart, but we've talked about this Raven. A small slip up is one thing, a big one does not bear thinking about" Charles said.

~

Two Days Later

Raven and Charles went back to the pub while I decided to stay home. There they met a woman named Moira MacTaggert. She worked for the CIA and we were currently meeting with her superiors to discuss mutant kind.

We were in a conference room, Charles had just finished his presentation on mutations and he sat back down as the men in the chairs observed him.

"People with extraordinary abilities may already be among us" Charles said.

"MacTaggert, you really think that some crackpot scientists is gonna make me believe in sparkly dames and vanishing men ? You just bought yourself a one-way ticket back to typing pool. This meeting is over" One of the men at the end of the table said.

Moira began to get up from her seat but Charles stopped her.

"Please, sit down Agent MacTaggert. I didn't really expect you to believe me, given that all you could think about during my presentation was what sort of pie they were serving in the commissary. It's apple pecan. I haven't been completely honest with you Moira, I'm sorry. You see one of the many spectacular things my mutation allows me to do is that I can read your mind" Charles said as his tone of voice became more and more serious.

"I've seen this before in a magic show. Are you gonna ask us to think if a number between one and ten ?" An agent asked jokingly.

"No, agent Stryker. Although, I could ask you about your son, William who you were thinking about, which is very nice. But I think I'd rather ask you about the Jupiter Missiles America is currently placing in Turkey"

The agents looked at each other in complete shock.

"He's a goddamn spy. You brought a spy into this facility !" A man screamed.

"I did not" Moira tried defending herself, but her sentences were cut off by more screaming from her superiors.

As everyone screamed, Raven suddenly got up from her chair and transformed herself into agent Stryker. The room was silent. Raven then transformed back into her normal blue self and sat back down. I held her hand.

"How's that for a magic trick ?" I asked with an annoyed smile.

"Best I've ever seen" A man at the back of the room said.

"I want them out of here and locked down until I can figure out what to do"

"My facility is off-site. I'll take 'em" Said the man at the back of the room.

We left the conference room and made it to the parking garage.

Charles had frozen the CIA agents near Moira and had telepathically convinced her to come with us. We also brought the man at the back of the room during the conference with us. We were walking with him to Moira's car.

"I've always known that there were people like you out there. I've been the laughingstock of this agency for years but I knew it. You're gonna love my facility" The man said, enthusiastically.

"That's gonna have to wait. Agent MacTaggert has a lead on Sebastian Shaw and if we don't move now apparently we're gonna lose him" Charles explained.

"Sebastian Shaw ?" I said.

"I'll explain later" Charles answered.

"What just happened ?" The man asked confused.

We made it to Moira's car. We opened the doors and got inside.

"Not only can he read minds, he can communicate with them as well" I explained.

"Moira and I just had a lovely conversation" Charles said.

"I cannot take you anywhere else without permission from upstairs" The man said, slightly nervous.

"Would you like to see one more magic trick ?" Charles asked.

"Okay" The agent answered.

"Y/N" Charles said.

"Get in the car" I ordered the man, using Charles's powers.

The man did as I said and sat in the car.

"You can manipulate people ?" Moira asked me.

"No, I steal other mutant's powers. Controlling people is one of Charles's talents" I said.

"It's absolutely incredible. How does it work though ? I'm a bit confused" She asked, genuinely curious.

"If I touch a mutant I can use their powers. But I can only use one at a time. I also have a limit to the number of powers I can store" I explained.

"Well, we have a man to catch. Let's get going" Charles said.

Published : 04-07-22
Number of Words : 1169