Chapter 3: From Feather to Fur

Azar landed in City Fera, her face soaked from her tears. It was nighttime.
'How will Max react to this?' She thought as she sat down on a bench. 'What do I tell him..'

Meanwhile, at the City Fera library, Max was helping close up. He works there.
"Have a good night, Krispark." A Shinigami said as he walked off.
"You too, boss." Max said as he began to walk off.
But as he walked down the street, he felt something off. His magic felt like it sensed something. From his knowledge, this would only happen when someone he knows dearly is in great emotional distress and is close by.
He looks around, trying to find where his magic was pointing.

He follows it until he finds Azar sitting on the bench, wiping away her tears, and her mushroom hat off to the side.
"Oh, Hey Azar!" He waved to her and walked up to her from behind the bench. "I didn't think I'd see you here. How was the-" he examined her closer. It was obvious she had been crying.
"Azar? Are you alright?" Maxwell asked her.
She flinched slightly upon hearing him. "Hey, Max..." She says, her voice wavering.
"What's wrong? Did something happen?" He asked, getting on the bench next to her.
"I'm sorry Max, but I can't say it..." her voice sounded tired.
"Azar. You can't tell me anything." Maxwell assured, putting a paw on her.
Azar sighed and turned her head to face Maxwell. She put his face into her wings and touched her Spark with Maxwell's, causing him to go into a dream-like state. He saw everything she saw, felt everything she felt.
He woke back up a few seconds later, understanding everything perfectly. "Wha... your creed... we're not... and they-?" It was hard for him to absorb this information.
"Y-Yes..." She said, shakily.
"Then, that means we... no..." Max understood the weight of this situation. So much so, in fact, it was crushing him.
Azar sniffed and wrapped her wings around him tightly. "I just want you to know, none of this was your fault. None of it. It theirs. They're the ones who're stuck up."
"But because of them, then that means- we can't be together." His voice wavered. "I don't- no. Not after everything we've been through! I don't - I don't want it to be like this." He slipped on his words.
"Don't worry, Maxwell. They won't be able to do anything. Because... I'm leaving that stupid creed." Azar tried to calm him down.
"B-but Azar- you heard what he said. He said as long as you're a phoenix, you'll be-"
"Well, I... was thinking... about becoming a kitsune." Azar said.
Maxwell's eyes widened. "Wh-what? How?"
"We're sparks, remember? It's not easy, but... we can change our forms." She said.
Maxwell paused and thought about it. "Oh my Aradia, you're right! But how?" Max sniffed and got himself together.
"Well, first of all, I'd need a spell book to find out how to focus one's energy into changing species... but the library's closed, I'm sure." Azar sighed
"Wait. I-I work at the library." He pulled out the keys to it. "I'm sure my boss won't mind."
Azar chuckled and wiped away her tears. "Oh, Max."
The two got up and headed to the library.

Maxwell unlocked the doors and turned on the lights.
"Okay. There should be a book in her somewhere to help us..." Maxwell said.
The two scoured the library to find something. Eventually...
"Max! Over here!" Azar shouted down an aisle. Maxwell approached.
Azar held a book about how sparks change their forms.
Azar read through it. "Okay, I think I got it down. But I need some space... somewhere where I can't destroy everything."
"Oh, I know where." Maxwell said.

He guided her to an empty reading lounge. "We were going to set this room up, but we haven't yet..."
Azar nodded and looked back in the book. "Okay then. Well, I'm glad you're here." She said.
"Oh. Well, I'm glad to help you find the-"
"No, as in, I need more help than just the book to make this work. I also need some extra help."
"Oh, really? What is it?"
"The spell needs someone of another species to turn into that species to help. And since you're a kitsune..."
Maxwell nodded. "Oh, I see. So what do you-"
Azar leaned towards Max, making their sparks touch. After some concentration, her Spark began glowing.
"Okay, it's ready. Stay back, Max." Azar said as she walked further into the room before sitting.
She concentrated some more, as her spark began glowing brightly, pushing some stray papers on the floor away. Maxwell himself could feel a force push onto him.
Eventually the room filled with a purple light. Max closed his eye before it shined brightly so he wouldn't be blinded.
After reopening them, she saw that the light and dimmed, and there was something where Azar was.

It was a kitsune, purple and white, having the same markings and accessories as Azar, as well as two wings.
The now kitsune Azar looked at herself. She lifted her paws, and they most certainly felt alien. "Whoa. It's feels so..."
"C-careful, you've got four legs instead of two now, take it easy." He looked out for her. "So, uh, how do you feel?"
"I feel so... different. But it feels nice, aside from- whoa!" She stepped forward and tripped forward.
Max had his protective instincts kick in and immediately caught Azar with his paws.
She looked up and blushed. "Heh- sorry."
"D-Don't worry." Maxwell smiled at her.
She smiled back. "I'm just glad we can be together in peace now. Forget those pompous birds."
"Me too, Azar." Maxwell hugged her, crying tears of joy. "Me too."
She smiled softly and hugged him back.

Maxwell guided her out of the library before locking it back up.
Azar tumbled somewhat, trying to get used to her four legs. "I think I'm getting the hang of this." She looked at her wings on her back and them.
"At least you still have your wings." Maxwell said.
"Yeah, but they feel really stiff compared to my old ones."
"You think you'll be okay with this? Being a kitsune?" Maxwell Asked.
"Look. If the entire phoenix species want to be idiots and hate us for being together, then I... I would gladly abandon myself as one of them. If it means I get to be with you, then so be it." Azar sounded like she meant it.
Maxwell smiled at her.
The lightning above in the clouds struck, and it started drizzling.
"Uh oh. Raining." Max said.
"Okay, where to?" Azar asked.
"Back home at my place?" Max suggested.
"Sure, I would love to!"
The two headed back to Maxwell's house, while the rain hit.

The two made it inside, soaking wet from the rain.
"Bleh." Azar said.
Maxwell shook his fur, shaking off most of the water, but turning Max into a puffball.
Azar giggled, before trying to shake, but didn't do it very well, only shaking off a little bit of rainwater off.
"You need-"
"Don't. Say. Anything." She said, looking him dead in the eye.
"I was gonna ask if you need a towel."
"Please."

Later, Azar was wrapped in a bath towel and a blanket, sitting next to Maxwell's fireplace, which he lit to warm her up.
Maxwell walked up, giving her some tea. "Tea?"
"Thank you." She smiled.
Maxwell sat next to her at the fireplace. He looked out the window, seeing the rain and the lightning strike in the distance.
"Quite a storm, huh?" He said.
"Yeah, might last all night." She said.
"Well, I was thinking. You could stay here overnight until the storm ends." He offered. "I-if that's okay with you."
Azar blushed and looked at him. "Actually, I was thinking. I know my creed's going to be looking high and low for me to no end. So... would it be alright if I stayed here for... as long as I need to?"
"Oh. Uh, of course! If it means you'll be safe from them, of course you can." He blushed back.
Azar giggled before pulling him closer and snuggling with him, wrapping the blanket around him as well.
Maxwell's blushes just got brighter. "Th-this feels scary."
"Why's that?" She teasingly Asked.
"...I'm at a loss, to be honest." Max chuckled.
"I think I know why." She smirked.
"Oh?"
Azar smiled and leaned in for a kiss on his lips. This naturally took the green kitsune off guard. But, he didn't mind, actually.
The two's lips met for a few seconds before Azar stopped it.
"Because I love you, Maxwell." She said before snuggling her head on him.
"And I love you more." He said back, doing the same.
"And I love you... most-" she yawned as she said "most".
"Getting tired?"
"Yeah... well? It's not nice to keep a girl waiting. If you show me where I'll be sleeping."
"Oh, right." Maxwell got out of the blanket and stood up. "Come on." He urged her to follow.

He led her to a spare bedroom. "Guest bedroom. I know it's not much, but-" it was a simple bed and nightstand, along with a window and closet.
She smiled. "It's just fine, Maxwell." She walked into the bed and got under the covers.
"Need anything?"
"No thank you, Max. Good night." She said.
He smiled back. "Good night Azar." He said before going back to his bedroom.

But Azar didn't go to sleep. Not immediately, at least. She just looked out the window, seeing the rain patter and heard the thunder rumble. She sighed.

Back in Maxwell's bedroom a few minutes later, Maxwell was almost asleep, until he heard the door open. He leaned up and looked.
"Hey Max?" It was Azar, holding her pillow.
"Yeah?"
"I've got a lot on my mind. So, is it okay if I sleep with you tonight?" She requested.
Maxwell scooted from the center of the bed to the right side. "Sure."
"Thanks. Hate to be a burden to you..." she said as she got in.
"It's never a problem. I'm glad to help you." Max smiled.
"Are you sure?" She asked again.
"I promise."
Azar scooted close to him, till she was snuggling against him again.
"Thank you Max. Good night."
Max wrapped a paw around her. "Good night."
And the two drifted off to sleep, with only each other.