06

I suck in a sharp breath, snapping my eyes open in harsh panic. My body shook when I gasped, my throat shaking along with it. The first thing my eyes met was a friendly ceiling, with neon glow in the dark stars stuck to it. My chest crashes up and down, my stomach aching when I breathed in too deep. My heart was beating so fast I could hear it in my ears and feel it in my pulse.

It felt like I died.

Staring at the tall ceiling with a wobbly breath, I knew exactly what ceiling I was looking at. It was the ceiling of my bedroom, I was in my apartment? I couldn't stop panting, confused and terrified about what the hell happened. I felt a tightness in my abdomen and pressure on my right foot.

I pull my foggy eyes from the ceiling, dropping my head to the right. My location was confirmed when my eyes set out to the empty duffle bags spread on the floor. 

There was an unknown discomfort in my lower abdomen, not unbearable pain but enough for me to notice it. It felt tight, and when I breathe in deep enough I felt a pinch.

After assessing where I was and how my body was in pain, my brain drew its next focus on the feeling my foot was undergoing. I felt some sort of tickle that I wasn't able to decipher. It wasn't painful for heavy, it was gentle and ticklish.

I turn my head to the end of the bed towards my feet, my eyes going to my right foot.

The first thing I saw was Elvis, my cat—sitting wide-eyed looking at me. My heart jumped at his presence that I didn't expect, but nothing distracted my thought of the noise going on next door.

Someone was building something.

Pawing at my foot, he had his little ragdoll head resting on my big toe, his paws scratching my foot to wake me up. It explained the ticklish touch I felt.

My eyes caught a glimpse of someone next door, they didn't know I was awake. If I listened hard enough I could hear the tv playing. The unknown figures back were slightly turned towards me, the person was in a plain white t-shirt, a string of pearls around his neck. The pair of blue jeans were faded, but not purposely. They must've been a really odd pair.

"Harry?" my voice came out quieter than expected, it was groggy and rough.

He obviously didn't hear, given he was making my apartment a construction zone I wasn't too surprised, I was so tired.

I shut my eyes and try to clear my throat and mind. My eyes search for the book on my bedside table. 

I shift my arm, knocking the book of the ledge.

When the book hit the floor, his head snapped in my direction as I'd hoped. His eyes darted to mine in a panic, immediately putting the screwdriver down out of his hands.

Why does he have a screwdriver, did I own a screwdriver?

"You're awake—" He placed his huge hand around the back of his neck, wasting no time to come over and sit with me. The bed dipped as he sat himself up right next to my side, his hands finding my hands. "Do you remember?"

I smiled and he smiled back, and my heart hurt.

His smile was beautiful, especially when seeing the compassion behind his cold eyes. His hands were engulfing my tiny hands, I couldn't help but smile back— even though my body felt as if it is falling apart.

"Bits and pieces.." I whispered, through a sore throat.

He let go of my hands. My eyes shut uncontrollably from it, the feeling of his warm hands against my skin slipping away.