Part 3: Isolation

2 Hours Earlier

After several fumbled attempts to answer her brand new gummiphone (how she ever let Ienzo convince her to accept it, she'll never know), Aqua finally got the call she had been expecting that certain promising young individuals from her old home world would be arriving later the next day via Gummi Ship. And she couldn't be more excited. Or terrified. Or nauseous. Or combinations of the above. Despite all her fears for the future and the ever present threat of Heartless appearing in the worlds at any given time, there was still hope. A new generation of Keyblade wielders was coming to light. Her master's dream hadn't died. And SHE would be training them. She who had been named first master of her generation.

That said, her generation was over 12 years ago. How much had changed across the worlds since then? Words could not express how glad she was to have Terra and Ventus by her side once again. True they had missed out on as much in their own years of isolation, but with the Keyblade Trio of friends back together, she was certain there was no obstacle they couldn't overcome. And with Chirithy as a loveable sortof mascot, it was beginning to feel like a real academy. How far they had all come in such a short time, even if for everyone else it had been a very long time.

Aqua thought about her friends' respective isolation. It was a lonely existence for her in the Realm of Darkness where time did not exist. No trees, no sun and virtually no company besides ever-ravenous black monsters, and Sir Ansem the Wise. When King Mickey failed to get her out the first time, she had just about given up hope, and reasons to keep the darkness trying to consume her heart at bay. She had become something she couldn't recognise. Something that scared her. And she would have evolved into something far worse if not for Sora, Donald and Goofy (she could never thank them enough). But she was still her (albeit the worst version of her), almost right to the end. What kind of nightmare were all those years for her two closest friends having to spend all that time sharing bodies with another? At least Ven's heart found itself inside the kindest boy imaginable while his body was kept safe. But Terra. 12 awful years as little more than a ghost trapped inside his own heart while that vile man took over his life like a cancer. And what's worse was it was largely HER fault.

All her efforts to save Terra from the alure of darkness' power only made him doubt the strength of their friendship more and made Xehanort's control over his heart all the stronger. Her battle with him on the threshold of that dark realm and her attempt to shove him away from it achieved nothing but enabling Xehanort to flourish in her own home town, in His body. But perhaps the worst betrayal was her last words to him in The Keyblade Graveyard when he was still whole. She had doubts about his ability to resist darkness for sometime. And then the master fell. And she blamed Him. All the years together building trust. All the years she told herself their relationship was that of fellow students and good friends. All seemingly evaporated in an instant as grief and anger took over, making her say those words she could never take back. Terra was never perfect, and Xehanort may have been manipulating him from the shadows, BUT she was the one who pushed that final push. They acted like they were a team again now, but how could she ever ask his forgiveness when she could hardly forgive herself? How could she ever tell him that she-

No. That time had passed. And she had other obligations now. They both had. They all had. And those obligations began today! She was the master now and she had to be an example of stoism and professionalism, even if it meant locking that part of herself away. Her focus now would be her students and she must work on just that. So as the morning progressed, Aqua gathered her three friends in the castle courtyard and explained the itinerary of the day, fully intending to do just that. "OK guys, our first students are coming tomorrow morning and I want the castle and us ready to receive them. Ven, make sure the training ground is swept and presentable and the training dummies are set up. Terra, (she endeavoured not to look into his blue eyes too long) you polish and sweep the halls and make sure the bed chambers are made up. Chirithy, since our guests will probably be hungry when they arrive, you're in charge of meals. I've checked and replenished our food stores and left recipes and instructions on using appliances for you to follow in the kitchen. I'll be fine-tuning the lessons and working schedules for the week." She paused to offer a military-style salute before declaring "DIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSMISSED." Ven and Chirithy responded in kind with their own salutes "MA'AM YES MA'AM", albeit with a rather silly smile on Ven's face, which Chirithy clearly found hilarious. Terra in contrast kept his sombre, serious manner in place, simply replying "sure" before walking into the castle to begin his chores. Was it just her, or did something feel off with him? Like there was something on his mind he wasn't saying?

A/N: Sorry this part is so long but I needed all of it here to keep the flow of the story. Vote, comment and enjoy! Part 4 coming up next.