Part 12: Promise

A/N: Some references to the works of 'Paperspell' to follow. Enjoy!

"Ahem, closest family, friends, travellers of all walks of life. We are gathered here today to bear witness the union of these two exceptional people. If anyone present knows of any reason why they should not be wed-"

"KEEP YER PIEHOLES TO YERSELVES YA BIG PALOOKAS!" a certain court wizard quacked (either that or 'keep your pies cold to the shelves you Bit Poolhookers', no one was entirely sure). All the congregation snickered, giggled, laughed out loud or A-hyucked. Even the Elder Master's mouth turned up in a small smile. He proceeded regardless, "the bride and groom have prepared a few words to commerate the occasion, if all would care to hear them... " A reverent hush ensued as Aqua took a deep breath in, readying herself to speak. No notes beforehand, she decided instead to speak from her heart.

"Terra, when I first came to the Land of Departure, when I first met you, you were upfront, unapologetic, rude, stubborn and a total show-off. Every day training with you was a challenge to keep up with you, let alone have you regard me as worthy of your acknowledgement. For a long time I thought we would never find common ground. When all along, whether you meant it back then or not, you were preparing me for the challenges ahead; you forced me to leave that timid, self-absorbed child behind me, to stop making excuses for my weaknesses and grow up. Then when I got caught in the middle of that storm and went down with that fever, you carried my sorry butt back to the castle and spent all that time by my side nursing me back to health. I wouldn't be who I am now without you. You didn't just make me stronger, You are my reason for being strong. And I promise to spend every day of my life being your strength when you think you're weak. And every day striving to get stronger by your side."

If Terra was shocked at any stage by her brutal honesty, he did a good job hiding it. Terra was quiet for a while, regarding her, until a subtle "ahem" from the Elder Master brought him back to reality. He franticly patted himself down (supposedly having written notes for the occasion and lost them at the last minute), before he gave up and responded in kind.

"Aqua, before I met you, I thought so much I had done was a mistake. For a while, I thought I was a mistake, I was responsible for losing everyone I had ever known. When Master Eraqas took me under his wing, I felt truly special for the first time, and that made me think I could leave the guilt of my past mistakes behind me. But when you also became his apprentice, I didn't feel special anymore. And the guilt returned. And for a while I was jealous of you, your skill, your grace, and the light of your heart, when I should have been supporting and encouraging you. I should have been proud from the start of helping you go further rather than obsessing over how much further you were going ahead of me." Fearing he had just idiotically made the whole thing more awkward, he then added the only thing he had left to save her special day. "Ehh.. What I'm trying to say is you were always better to me than I deserved, or giving me a swift kick up the butt when I needed it, for which I am forever grateful. Aqua if I am your reason for being strong, you are my reason for being! You ARE my strength, my light, the other half of my heart, my best friend. And I vow I will be yours. When you feel your heart is weak, broken or wavering, I will be YOUR strength, YOUR comfort, YOUR resolve. I will ALWAYS be the love you need, the love you deserve and more, and always... your best friend too."

The air around the fountain courtyard regained it's stillness as Terra finished speaking, with a just few muffled sobs in the background. None could see the tears welling up in Aqua's eyes behind her veil, except him. Sensing his time as Grand Presider coming to a close, Master Yen Sid asked both if they would accept each other for better or worse, etc., til death do they part, to which they both agreed they would. He then called upon Chirithy (the ring bearer) to present the rings. For Terra, a crimson band that would increase his battle strength and defense, and for Aqua an Azure band that would increase her Water and Ice magic as well as the power of Team Attacks, and an enchantment on both of them (courtesy of the King) that would always guide the two to each other, no matter where they were across the galaxies. "Well then.." he concluded, "by the power vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You m-"

The rest of Yen Sid's speech fell short as Terra promptly threw back Aqua's veil and she practically threw herself into his waiting arms, melting into his kiss. Actually, Terra wished for something more than a melting kiss, but there were children present, or at least Ven (who was technically still a minor) and Chirithy (actually he had no idea of Chirithy's age, or even their gender!). In any case, the congregation erupted into applause, masking the Elder Master's sigh. "Well, I see you have that part covered, proceed." He spoke with a weary but contented smile, though none could hear him as the sounds of joy rang across the courtyard and echoed throughout the streets of Radiant Garden.

A/N: Again sorry this chapter is so long but I needed these words. It really is coming up to the final chapter now. I hope it meets your expectations!!