The Old Stories Are True

Kola returned to the river to find Sangosakin and the leopard waiting on the bank with a canoe by his side.

"Look who I found," the baba smiled pointing at the spotted feline. "She insisted that I carry her along."

"You came up with this entire scheme to teach me a lesson, didn't you?" Kola accused the baba in a way of greeting.

The babalawo shook his head signifying no but his facial expression gave him away.

Right then the vulture Kola had seen before entering the evil forest lifted off from the tree and flew heading in his direction. As it got close to the ground, hovering a few feet away from them the scavenger transformed into a beautiful maiden. The fair female was Ifedayo.
"You! You can turn into a vulture!" Kola said in surprise.
"Yes I can and a peahen also."

"You were in on this as well."

Ife shrugged "I don't know what you are talking about."

Kola glowered at her.

"Is that the thank you I get from saving your life from those water sprites?"

"That was you?"

She nodded.

The leopard came forward and nozzled againt Kola. He bent down to scratch her snout whilst admiring her beautiful spots.

"I think I'll call you Ekun."

"Very original." Ifedayo said, sarcasm dripping from her words.

They got into the canoe which began to drift across by itself to the other side of the river. Kola looked into the water at first fearing the emergence of his water assailants but Sangosakin reassured him.
Kola then began to tell them of his journey.

"I can't believe Egbere is real." Kola said.

"Is it much harder to believe than you being the incarnate of a god or the fact that you can breathe fire?" Sangosakin asked.

"But he was just a story to scare children.
"
"Most of the old myths, legends and stories of unexplained happenings are not just superstitions. A lot of them are true." Osun said.

"In Yoruba folklore?"

Osun shook her head "I'm talking about all the world or at least Nigeria. I have an igbo friend who is a dibia of amadioha in my university and Kassidy met an Urhobo boy who is a child of Aziza."

"Osun," Sangosakin said warningly. "That's enough."

"Why don't you want her to tell me about the others?" Kola asked glaring at Sangosakin.

'You will learn all you need to know in due time" the baba said "Right now you need rest."

The canoe arrived at the bank and the three of them got off. Sangosakin led the way- kola and ife falling in step behind him.