Epilogue

The blackness was flawless like a sort of absolute visual silence so Kola couldn’t see anything but he could sense there were a few people a couple of steps from where he stood before he heard them speak.

“The boy has survived the second attempt on his life Okurin ori ita; Man of the crossroads” a voice croaked. It sounded like the harmattan winds had suddenly developed vocal cords and was attempting speech.

“It is not unexpected,” said another voice.

This one was fluid, smooth and sweet like processed honey and it reminded Kola of a politician and every sweet talker he had ever met. It also sounded familiar.

“What should we do next?” a third wheezed. He sounded like he was having an asthmatic attack and also suffering from a bad case of tuberculosis.

“We do nothing.” The sweet talker replied giving a cliché villainous laughter.

Without warning a bright light streaked across Kola’s vision and his setting changed. This time he had the power of sight and was glad for it.

He was in a forest like no other somehow he knew this place wasn’t on aye. The trees were so ancient and ageless as they reached out for the sky. The leaves were in every hue of green imaginable and more. Every flower, every fruit he had ever seen seemed like cheap knock offs by comparison. The variable colours of the flowers were marvelling and the fruits looked so succulent. If the fruits in the garden of Eden had looked this good, it’s no wonder that Eve and Adam caved in. Kola wanted to take a bite but somehow he knew he’d never leave this place if he did. As he moved around appreciating the scenery, he beheld him.

There was no doubt whatsoever that whoever this person was, he must have been a great warrior when he was alive. His muscular form was tattooed with crisscrossing scars. A testament of his valour.

What was most unusual about this warrior was his two-tone complexion. The skin on one half of his body was very black and the other half was very light. In his right hand he held the ghost of an ida sword. His mouth seemed to be moving but Kola could hear no sound.

Suddenly, Kola felt like he was being sucked into a whirlpool. He felt his astral form zoom back to his physical body. Someone was trying to rouse him.

“Wake up Oba Sango there’s someone here to see you."