𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏 - 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐥𝐮𝐞-𝐄𝐲𝐞𝐝 𝐁𝐨𝐲

𝗛𝗲𝗿 slumber could only last so long, the peacefulness of Mother Earth surrounding her sleeping form steadily woke her. A small graceful butterfly flapped its lulling lavender wings to the rhythm of the forest, drifting in her direction. It planted itself onto her nose, fluttering back into the warm air once again when it crinkled like a bunny's. 

The lids of her eyes lifted gently, allowing herself to be exposed to the world around her. She propped herself up with her arms, yawning softly to awaken her body. Her eyes had well-adjusted to the rays of sun pooling up around her.

The girl shook her head, clawing at the back of her mind to recall any memory of the past, only to result in even more struggle. She stood up, dusting the soft soil away from her legs. Her attire was casual, yet pleasing to the eyes. It perfectly matched her physique, complementing her hair and alluring (e/c) irises.

A rustle in the bushes behind her caused her to flinch. She swiveled around, holding her fists out in front of her as menacingly as she could muster up. Peering into the cluster of leaves, a pair of piercing blue eyes bore back at her. They shone with curiosity, and eagerness. She had never quite felt silence so loud, so deafening, even if she couldn't recollect anything before she awoke. Their eyes never broke contact, their pupils intensely staring into each other. 

With a swift intake of air, she shrieked at them, praying the sudden shout would scare whatever it was off and away from her. The eyes widened and up shot what seemed to be a teenage boy, albeit he was much taller than the average height. He had shrieked himself, higher-pitched than her own, and darted back off into the surrounding forest.

She stood frozen in place, worried that he would reappear with the intent to harm her. Blinking once or twice, she pushed aside the leaves and followed in his footprints. The patterned soles of his boots had sunken into the impressionable dirt, leaving tracings of his steps. She began to quicken her pace, the corners of her mouth upturning at the thought of a chase. 

She matched her own footprints with his, overlapping his messy patterns with her own. The wind picked up her hair. It ran through it as fast as she did in the forest. The girl hopped over stumps and logs, her eyes glued to the tracks she was following like a hound. Mud began to cake her boots, but the adrenaline coursing through her veins drowned it out. 

No matter how far she seemed to chase after this mystery boy, the forest never seemed to change. It neither thickened, nor thinned. The leaves and swirls dotting the trees only repeated each other, resulting in the occasional stone or log she leaped over the singular difference.

Slowing down, she began to feel her head spin. She brought herself to a halt, and began to pant and huff and puff and hope her breath would return to her. Wiping her hand across her forehead, the beads of seat rolling down mixed like paint, moistening her palm even more.

With no warning, something lurched out from behind a nearby oak tree, tackling her vulnerable state to the ground. She yelped out in shock as her back collided with the earth underneath her. She gritted her teeth, and wrapped her own arms around the thing that attacked her. More so, the one.

She shot her legs up, kicking at the person pinning her down. She heard a loud curse and shot her eyelids up. It was the boy.

Without a word of explanation or even a simple greeting, the girl grabbed his head and shoved it to the ground beside her. His mouth had opened to shout, but was met with clouds of dirt instead. He pushed aside her, hurriedly using his grimy hands to beat the dust off his tongue to no avail. 

"GROSS! THAT'S UNFAIR!" his voice wrung out before he himself scurried away, still pawing at his tongue. His thick British accent echoed through the endless wood. She helped herself up, scowling in the direction he had cowardly disappeared in. 

It was humorous, yes, that he had up and ran away just by a minor inconvenience like that, yet it still plagued her mind his reasoning. He could have mistaken her for someone else, a different acquaintance, which was just as likely a solution as it wasn't. He also might've been in a game- but what sort of game would include chasing and stalking random strangers you found in crazy forests?

Lost in thought, a sudden snap of a twig broke her thinking process. Her head perked up, scanning her surroundings. She stifled her breath, careful to not alarm him. If it even was the blue-eyed boy.

"Uhm- Hello?" she cringed at the hoarseness of her voice. It was dry and crackly. "I don't want to hurt you... Sir?" A second rustle of bushes to her right caught her attention. Out peeked his head, eyes narrowed with uncertainty. His eyes stood out against the earthy palette around him, only complimenting the fractions of sky above them.

"Uh- hi?" she greeted questioningly. He emerged from behind the tree, arms crossed and a scowl across his mucky face. He turned his head to the side and spat on the ground, before turning back to her and scowling once again. His hair was golden locks, just like honey. He wore a uniform of sorts, quite pridefully in fact. It was blue, softer than his harsh eyes, yet still prominent. It was accompanied by a red sash crossed over his waist.

"Who are you, woman," he grunted, puffing up his chest to seem menacing. She smirked at his antics. "Who are you, man?" she questioned back, standing up straight. His eyes widened, then closed with cockiness as he spoke. "I am Tommy, the strongest man you will ever meet."

His response forced a quick giggle out from her mouth. He uncrossed his arms and balled up his fists, shooting them down beside him, "EY! Don't disrespect my name! I'll tell you I am not one to be disrespected with!" 

"Fix your grammar and then maybe I'll consider it," she poked back, still grinning dopily. He puffed out his cheeks in annoyance, his face turning beet red.

With a quick huff and kick of his feet, he took a deep breath before meeting her eyes.

"Say- you wouldn't be looking for a place to live, would you?"

1099 words