fifteen

Much to Maze's confusion, Harry held her hand all the way to her mom's car outside. He didn't drop it once, not even when his mother stopped them on the way out. He just stared at her blankly as she invited Maze over for dinner in the near future.

"She doesn't want to come," he had grumbled to her in response before pulling Maze away towards the door.

"Harry!" She chastised. "Why would you say that?"

"Because that shit's annoying," he said lowly, finally reaching the front door and unlocking it. "Invite you to dinner for what? To offend you more?"

"You didn't have to be so rude to her about it! Now she's not gonna like me." Maze complained, following him through the threshold.

He snorts. "Wait till I tell her that you puked all over her roses."

"Harry!" She echoed.

His responding chuckle came from deep in his chest, "Don't worry. Honestly, she barely likes anyone, myself included."

Maze frowned at that, staring at the top of his back as she walked behind him. Realizing that he most likely didn't know which car was her mom's, she sped up a little so that she was walking next to him. She pulled out the key and unlocked the doors, and Harry immediately started to walk towards the car that had gone off. She had parked across the street, and she definitely noticed the way he held her hand tighter and pulled her closer to him as they crossed it. He even opened the car door for her and helped her climb in, then he looked kinda nervous, standing in front of the open door so that Maze couldn't close it yet.

She blinked at him, waiting for him to move. When he didn't, she frowned. "Thank you," she said, thinking that maybe that's why he was still standing there idly.

He smiled, "Welcome, baby." He slowly looked at her form sitting in the SUV. He didn't realize that she was one of those girls who drove with one leg up on the seat, but it kind of made sense. "You know, I'm really proud of you for driving all the way here. I know how much it gives you anxiety."

"Well, I was super angry so I didn't really even think about it," the smile that had appeared on her face at Harry saying Im proud of you slowly turned into a grimace. "Now, I'm thinking about it."

"You have nothing to worry about," Harry reassured, he eyed her mother's car. "Cadillacs are nice, safe cars. I mean they're not the safest but they're up there...I think." When Maze just glared at him, he scratched the back of his neck. "I can like...I can drive you home if you want. Or keep you company so you're not too worried. I'll just Uber home."

"Oh," She said, nodding her head with a hint of sarcasm in her voice. "So you freaked me out on purpose. Nice."

He sighed, looking a little sheepish. "I really didn't, but it sure looks that way doesn't it?"

"I'm literally trying to get away from you, Harry." She reminded him and he looked so much like a wounded puppy that Maze was climbing across the center console into the passenger seat before she even realized what she was doing. She clicked on her seatbelt and held the key out for him, straight faced. He just stood there, clearly confused by the mixed signal. She rolled her eyes, "Take me home."

It took a moment for him to process it all, but then he was smirking and climbing into the driver's seat. He took the key from her open palm and started the car. "I actually kind of love it when you're mean to me," he commented, as he slowly pulled off onto the road.

Maze was not going to entertain this or him right now. She pulled down the sun visor to look at the mirror in it, grabbing the lipgloss she always kept in her mom's cup holder to reapply it. "Why? Because it reminds you of your bitchy ex girlfriend that only uses you for sex and treats you like shit?" She didn't give him a chance to answer. "Well, I personally think that's something you should unpack and leave me the fuck out of."