five

unedited

"Is this the place here?" The uber driver asked her as he began to park in front of what seemed to be a huge white mansion. Maze looked at the address Harry had sent her, checking her GPS to see if this was indeed the location.

"Yep, seems like it." She grabbed the tiny book bag she brought with her that contained the two bottles of liquor she decided to bring with her and threw it over her shoulder as she grabbed the door handle. "Thank you, sir. Have a great night."

"You too, sweetie." He replied as he warily looked out the window. "Stay safe out here tonight."

"Sure thing," she sent him a sweet smile before hopping out of the car. She bit her lip as she looked up at the huge house before her. It was about three or four stories and had colorful flashing LED lights blinking on the ground floor that could be seen through the windows. As she got closer, she realized that the lights were actually synchronized to the beat and she took a moment to appreciate the vibe from afar. Soon, she was standing nervously at the door, her lips raw from how hard she was biting them. She rang the door bell and knocked, but doubted that anyone could hear her over the music. This was confirmed when no one answered. She sighed before hesitantly grabbing the door handle to let herself in.

The music got infinitely louder as soon as the door opened. It was pretty loud, but not loud enough that you couldn't hold a conversation without yelling. Her eyes took a moment to adjust to the dimly lit setting of the large living room. There was a large sectional that was pushed back against the wall to create space that people were sitting on with red solo cups inside their hands as they spoke and laughed, some even held joints in their hands. Most people stood in the middle dancing and conversing amongst each other. She felt a little disoriented as the lights flashed and some of the smoke that blanketed the air got in her eyes, causing them to slightly sting. She rubbed at them, looking up to catch a glimpse of Greek letters along the wall. It was then that she realized that Harry had invited her to some type of frat house party.

She wanted to look for Harry but with the huge crowd of people she knew that it'd be pretty much impossible. Therefore, she decided to look for the kitchen so she could refrigerate the tequila she'd brought.  As she tried to navigate through the large living room, weaving in and out of the crowd until she approached the less crowded hallway. She bit her lip as she walked, turning into the only space that had a light on. She was delighted when she discovered it was indeed the kitchen.

It was way less populated in the kitchen, and she decided that she'd probably chill out there until she was tipsy enough to join the party. She opened up the freezer and placed her two bottles in there so that they'd get cold faster. She sat on one of the stools that were by the island and pulled out her phone to text Harry, whose contact she respectively changed to skater boy.

To skater boy: heyyyy, just got here. where are you???

She blew a raspberry out of her mouth as she tapped her fingers against the tile of the island as she waited for him to respond, wondering how he was even invited to this thing—being that he was still a senior in high school himself. She looked around her surroundings, noticing how surprisingly spacious the kitchen was. She'd never been inside a frat house, but from the looks of it, they were living pretty large. Despite how empty the room was, it was a mess with plastic cups and utensils everywhere, empty liquor bottles, and various party snacks strewn about the place.

For a moment, a feeling of immense dread washed over her as she thought about how in just a year, this would be a normality for her. Frat parties, dorm rooms, etc. She didn't even want to think about what she would be doing after she graduated.