Chapter 1

A/N

This is just basically just an intro into the story but it's still very important to read!!

I live in the forest. 

That's one of the only things that I know about myself. Even though I'm only seventeen, I can't remember much of my life before I was twelve, but I know the forest is my home.

I'm a pixie. Contrary to popular belief, we pixies aren't tiny and don't have wings and wands. We're pretty much humans, but sometimes we're hybrids and we have a little magic. I am a goat hybrid. 

It's probably the worst one you could get (apart from nothing) because the skills that come with it are pretty much just running and jumping. However, despite being able to understand goats, they never seem to like me. I'm more attached to bees and although we can't understand each other, I'd like to think we can.

These days, pixies are extremely rare. So I've never talked to one apart from myself, but I can still speak the language, even though I've never learnt it. I think all pixies can. Part of our magic I guess.

So my whole world turned upside down on November 27.

I was out looking for nuts when I found the glade. Trees bordered almost an exact circle, puffy purple flowers dotted the small clearing, the terrain covered in different grasses, sunlight slanted in through gaps in the overhanging branches. It was pretty much perfect. 

The thing that changed my life, however, was the pixie lying on the ground to one side. He had black and white skin, horns poking out from his monochrome hair, a lopsided crown perched on his head and a soft purple glow surrounded him. He was super tall —at least to me, as I was a very short pixie —  and seemed to be asleep. Breathing, but otherwise completely still.

I cautiously approached him, poking him in the side occasionally. I wandered around him, curious, for a while. Eventually, bored and tired, I leaned against a nearby rock and felt myself nodding of. I yawned, and carelessly let myself slip away from consciousness.

The next thing I was aware of was the darkness. I sat bolt upright and looked up at the sky. It was a navy black, only penetrated by a bright crescent moon and stars. The boy was still asleep, in the same position as before, but his breathing was now strained. Suddenly, a groan came from the darkness. I jumped up, fear creeping into my eyes. I should just run home before the night-time monsters get me, I thought, but I still stayed. I had too, for the sleeping pixie. A few figures emerged from the bushes. 

My heart thudded against my chest. 

Skin was peeling away from their rotten green skin, clothes sticking to their bodies with blood. I've seen them millions of times before, but they never fail to disgust me every time. Zombies. I should just run, said that voice again, but I held my ground. I'm not going to make it. I can't even fight. Run. Just go. Go. My heart beat faster. 

More zombies emerged, surrounding me and the other boy. Then, from nowhere, a knife sped through the air and pierced a zombie right in the chest. It fell dead to the ground. The rest of the monsters, as well as me, turned to see another pixie my age. He had dirty blond hair, a white and red shirt ripped in several places and a sword in hand, but looked pretty much normal, unlike to the black and white pixie with  a weird crown and me with goat legs, horns and ears.

The boy ran into the fray, sword in hand, and quickly eliminated the rest of the zombies. Then he raised his hand in greeting.

"Hello!" he said, the word accompanied with a grin. I couldn't help but return the smile.