Chapter Six: Pride

There was something about a cup of coffee and polite conversations that relaxed a person. Life was a stressful experience, constantly poking its way into people's lives. It never went away. Like an annoying sibling, stress stuck around even when you didn't want it to. To find something that offered a sliver of peace was a reward Rose would not let go to waste. Rose's fingers curled tighter around her mug, as she snuggled deeper into the couch. A blanket wrapped around her shoulders, while Al regaled her with stories of the office drama. 

Gossip wasn't her typical forte. It felt invasive to sit around and talk about the personal details of people's lives. Rose hated being the center of the gossip chain. Being the daughter of two famous wizards, Rose ended up in the Prophet frequently, which usually led to more stress and embarrassment. 

On one such occasion, her first kiss with Parker Walshorn was plastered in the Prophet. A reporter spotted them at an Appleby Arrow's game and the next thing Rose knew her first kiss was being replayed for the world to see. 

Another time Rose's fall at a Ministry hearing was documented and talked about for weeks. She was the laughing stock of the entire department. Her co-workers never let her hear the end of it. It took her a full year to gain back the respect of her superior officers. 

To say that she hated gossip was an understatement. 

After weeks of no conversation, Rose was desperate enough to listen to anything Al had to say. Even if it was about Rodger and Tiana's scandalous office affair. 

Malfoy had been gone for the past two hours now and showed no signs of returning. Rose was dying to get back to work. If Al wasn't still sitting here, she'd be nose deep in her paperwork right now instead of other people's business.

"It was so obvious." Al scowled angrily. "Rodger came over to Tiana's cubicle with some story about how he needed her help in the file room. I swear I've never seen a woman blush as much as she did."

Al wasn't a dramatic person (unlike his blonde best mate). Al tended to use his brain over his heart. That didn't stop him from occasionally leading with his emotions. She'd seen it once or twice. She couldn't figure out why now was one of those times. 

"How does a blush prove they're having an affair? Maybe Rodger did need Tiana's help and she blushed because she fancies him."

Albus groaned, "Rodger and Tiana are having an affair. They are trying to keep it under wraps though because rumor has it that Rodger officially started dating Alice last week."

This caught Rose's attention, "Alice? As in Alice Longbottom?"

In school, Alice and Rose were in the same year and best friends. They were still close, but not like before. Growing up, it wasn't always easy to hold on to friendships. With passing years and life changes, friendships changed and grew. Alice and Rose might not have been as close as they were at sixteen but Rose still considered them to be good friends. Learning Alice got a new boyfriend, Rose knew nothing about, hurt. 

"The one and only." Al slumped further into the couch. "She told me they've been on a few dates. I guess it's new, so I'm not sure if they agreed to be exclusive or not. Either way, I don't like the fact that Rodger is sneaking around on her already."

Dimitar was Rose's only long-term relationship, but there were other boyfriends. Guys she dated for a few months. One, Peter Castle, lasted longer than most. They were together for four months when Rose discovered he cheated on her. He claimed it meant nothing. That it was a mistake caused by one too many shots of fire whiskey. She dumped him immediately. It wasn't the breakup that crushed her heart. It was the betrayal. She trusted Peter. Trusted him enough to hold her heart and he'd thrown it away carelessly. She did not want her friend to have to go through that heartbreak. Not when her heart had already been through the wringer.