Chapter Thirteen: St. Mungo's

It was early in the morning. The sun's first light barely graced the horizon, which in retrospect was lucky for them on many accounts.

First, it played well into their fishing lie. If anyone were to stop them, they would only tell them they preferred to fish early in the morning before the summer heat became too much for their old bones. 

Second, it was dark enough that Rose didn't have to look at the grim expression on Malfoy's face. He was by no means a morning person and it showed. He'd acted like a pouting child all morning. He practically growled at Rose when she turned on the coffee machine (even though they were both awake). He softened up slightly when she handed him a mug. 

Third, it gave them plenty of time to complete their well-constructed plan. In a matter of hours, Rose would be at Hugo's bedside. She hardly slept all night, giddy at the prospect of seeing her brother and possibly getting more answers. 

She'd taken polyjuice potion right after her morning coffee. The bitterness of the drink did nothing to spare her from the potion's nasty aftertaste. 

The polyjuice potion had done its job. It took Rose's foggy morning brain a few seconds to adjust to the man before her. His pale blonde hair was now a solid grey with a large bald spot on the right side. His eyes were a pale brown, wrinkled around the corners with age. He wore a fake pair of glasses that sat on the bridge of his wide nose. A cup of coffee was clutched into his withered hands like the caffeine was the one singular thing giving him purpose. Rose couldn't say she blamed him. She was on her third cup after all. 

Her hands twitched as she transfigured a nearby stone into a boat motor. The motor purred to life, while she used a sticky charm to attach it to the back of the boat.

While Rose was busy making the boat presentable to muggle eyes, Malfoy did his part to cast navigation and speed charms. With those doings, they'd be able to get to shore quickly and have plenty of time to drive into town to apparate. 

When the boat looked more presentable, Rose did one last check to ensure she brought all the supplies she needed. Extra vials of polyjuice potion, fresh clothes, snacks for when Malfoy inevitably complained about hunger, blankets, and a little present for Hugo. 

Malfoy surveyed the boat for a few minutes, as Rose took her seat on the wooden bench. Her bony hands wrapped the wool blanket around her shoulders. The material was scratchy and thin, doing nothing to shield her from the harsh realities the wind would surely present on their journey. 

"I still can't get over the fact that you keep hair in your trunk," Malfoy said suddenly dropping into the seat across from her.

Rose glared at the annoying Ferret, as she situated herself more comfortably into the aging boat. He smirked at her annoyance. This was the fourth time he'd brought up the hair. Rose was not in the mood to indulge his teasing. If she did, that would mean she'd have to let him win. 

She was in his debt after all. Which was a considerable nuisance. Being in Malfoy's debt somehow made him feel more entitled. A feat Rose never imagined possible. Without his help, Al never would have agreed to the plan. He was reluctant to do so initially. Rose could hear his angered yells from behind the safety of her office door. Whatever Malfoy said to him during their call must have pushed him into officially saying yes. 

They spent the rest of the afternoon preparing for the trip. Rose finished the IDs and transfigured their clothing to items that were fashionable for an elderly couple. Malfoy made the travel arrangements, booking rooms and getting unregistered portkeys. 

They were up until 2:00 am getting organized. Rose was so exhausted she passed out on the floor of the sitting room. Malfoy wound up scrunched up in the armchair, resulting in aching muscles and groans of complaints.