Chapter Sixteen: Redemption

The weeks melted away and Summer turned into Fall. In those last few weeks, Rose exhausted each of her files searching for a clue into which of Pious' followers was the potion master. Scorpius was generous enough to offer his assistance and together they'd gone through every scrap of parchment. A few followers looked promising, so they'd sent them to Al for further investigation, only to hit more dead ends. 

Pious' defense was pressuring for a trial date, one Rose was hoping Helene would keep finding ways to put off. Rose's frustration was at an all-time high. Luckily, she was an optimist (well trying to be). Today would be the day things turned around. She could feel it. 

They were scheduled to do another interview with Melanie Filtch in a few minutes. Al continued to meet with her once a week with Scorpius and Rose listening in and providing responses. They'd made incredible progress during those sessions. After an extensive discussion, Scorpius and Rose decided today would be the time to try and ask Melanie for information. 

Rose smoothed down the wrinkles on her jumper and checked her bun for messy bumps. Finding none, she gathered the supplies stacked neatly on the desk and set out to the sitting room. 

Scorpius was already there, two glasses of water set on the coffee table in front of him. The earpiece was placed in between the cups, taunting her, as if reminding Rose of the unthinkable favor they were about to ask. Favor didn't cover it. What they were asking went far beyond a favor. They were asking for a life. 

Rose took a seat next to Scorpius, placing her files and parchment on the table. "Are you ready for this?"

His silence was answer enough. The guilt weighed heavily on Rose's soul, but this was for the greater good. Being a lawyer, the ethical lines weren't so cut and dry. Sometimes, Rose had to do things that went against her morals to do right by the law. While this was one of those moments, the information they could get from Melanie had the potential to help them heal all the extraction victims or put Pious away. It was time to be strong.

Placing a hand on Scorpius' leg, she squeezed softly. He looked at her in surprise, before hesitantly placing his hand over hers. No words were needed. It was enough to know they weren't facing this ethical dilemma alone.

Melanie's execution date was set for two weeks from then. Either way, this would be their last visit. 

That small fact didn't lessen Rose's guilt any.

Suddenly, the earpiece sprung to life, alerting them that Al was at the prison. Scorpius placed the device in his ear, "Al can you hear me?"

"Loud and clear mate. Hey, Rose!"

"Hi, Al." Rose smiled fondly. "Are you heading inside?"

"Approaching the prison now. Any last-minute changes before we do this?"

Scorpius and Rose locked eyes. 

"Ready as we'll ever be," Scorpius said. 

The familiar crunch of Al's boots pounded in their ears. The guards put Al through security and escorted him to the interview room. He didn't have to wait long before Melanie was escorted inside. 

She growled at Al, her chains rattling as she sat. 

Rose and Scorpius exchanged a worried look. Things were not off to a good start. 

"Good morning, Melanie."

"Back again? Aren't you getting tired of these games?" Her voice was raspy, like she hadn't drank water in days.

"What games?"

She cackled humorlessly, "If I have to explain the rules then it isn't much of a game."