44

It wasn't just because of Robyn that Remus Lupin was leading his four best friends into a dark, foreboding forest on a cold night in November

It wasn't just because of Robyn that Remus Lupin was leading his four best friends into a dark, foreboding forest on a cold night in November. Of course, he urgently wanted to help his girlfriend's family, but it was more than that. Timothy Morrow had become someone that Remus deeply cared for and the fact that he was kidnapped by none other than Fenrir Greyback, the man for whom Remus owed the worst parts of his life, only spurred Remus on to run that bit faster and grip his wand that bit tighter. Twigs snapped and leaves rustled under his and the rest of the Marauders' hurried footsteps as they ventured further and further into the trees. The dappled light from the half-moon that desperately tried to squeeze past the leafy cover had become scarcer and scarcer and soon the only thing leading Remus' way was his own enhanced eyesight. After what felt like hours of running, Remus held up a hand, signalling for his friends to stop. He hadn't spotted anything, no, but he had smelt it. A musky, earthy scent filled his nostrils: mud, body odour, blood and death. Remus shivered and looked over his shoulder, observing the determined looks on each of the Marauders' faces. Eloise sent him a nod and he turned back around, treading forward, though much more slowly. Using his heightened senses, he listened. At first he heard the crackling of a fire, the creaking of the wind through wood, the deep, growling snores of something that didn't seem quite human and then: talking. Low, subtle voices, coated in fear.

'Don't fall asleep, Lucy. I know it's hard but...we can't-'

'I know, Tim. We just have to wait.'

Feeling something stir deep inside himself, Remus quickened his pace, anger bubbling in his veins. Soon enough, they came across a small, dilapidated shack with smoke coming from a rusted, metal chimney. Remus tiptoed towards it, spying a small trap door beside it.

"Wait here," he whispered to his friends but someone grasped his arm

"You're not going in alone, mate." James said strongly, though in a muted tone. Remus grimaced and turned to Sirius,

"Turn into Padfoot and keep watch for Greyback," he said and Sirius nodded, doing as he was told immediately, "Prongs and Wormtail stand outside of the trapdoor and as soon as Tim and Lucy are out, get them to safety. Elle, turn into something big and come with me." he advised and upon his word, the four of them began to step carefully towards the trap door. Peter and James stood on either side as Remus cautiously charmed the lock open, lifting the door with a slight creak. He nodded to James and Peter and clasped Eloise's hand, beginning the descent into the darkness. The pair reached the bottom and entered a large cellar. There were stone walls, doused in dark stains that Remus could tell were blood and it was completely devoid of light. He squeezed Eloise's hand and let it go, in an instant, a large bear stood beside him and he lit the tip of his wand. The man and the bear stepped through the cellar, the latter searching every corner whilst Remus made a beeline for the very back, where he could smell the fear. He approached the two cowering figures on the floor and bit his lip.

"Tim-"

"Don't hurt us- Remus?" The man whispered and as soon as the light from his wand fell upon the man's face, Remus had to hold back a gasp. He was bruised and bloody, one eye was completely obscured from swelling and he was clutching his right arm to his chest. Lucy wasn't in much better shape. Shaking off the shock, Remus tried to be strong,