Chapter 10

I snuck into my house swift and silent like a thief in the night. My goal was set for the stairs as I tiptoed the hallway, but I was stopped dead in my track as the switch flickered on, bathing the living room into light. Lexi sat on one of the sofas, looking assertive and ready for battle. It was her expression that told me she'd been waiting for me a long time. Beside her on the glassed table, Nicholas' purchases lay conspicuous for all to see. The technology shining luminously as ever, becoming an obvious elephant in the room.

"I can explain." I began.

"Can you?" She cocked her head to one side.

I sighed and slumped down on the couch. I felt fatigue and exhaustion everywhere in my limbs. A goodnight sleep was very much needed for my body.

"What's been going on with you lately? Leaving the house so early in the morning and coming home after midnight? And now this?" She pointed at the MacBook and iPad on the table.

I closed my eyes briefly just to reflect on how to explain the situation without her judging me too much. I knew she already conjectured the worse. I was already a big sinner in her eyes.

She waited, tapping one of her foot impatiently, her arms folded defiantly across her chest.

"I met someone." It was the only thing I could muster.

Her calm expression shocked me, somehow she'd already guessed it. I had expected her blaze, the miscellany of prayers rebuking my statement. However, she surprised me as she came to sit next to me, concern written all over her face.

"Ariel, I know you're grown now and I know we aren't that well off to afford modern technology like everyone. But you shouldn't feel like you must seek other ways for source of income. This man you're seeing, how much does he...pay you to...do stuff with him?"

It was hard not to laugh. The fact that she was truly serious in her judgement was mostly ground-breaking. But I wasn't offended. This was Lexi. She'd always assumed worse of me, so the fact she'd think I'd stoop so low as to wh0re around wasn't that surprising to me.

"You got this all wrong, Lexi. I said 'I met someone', not 'I'm now a high class h0oker who lets men fûck her for money."

Her mouth dropped, eyes bulging almost out of her sockets.

"Excuse my language." I sighed but I was angry and tired, and the result of these combinations together were never good. "Let me rest your fears...I'm not sleeping with anyone and I don't intend on sleeping with anyone for money in the near future. The apple products were a gift. Now, are we done? Can I got to sleep?"

"You've never talked to me like this before. Ever since your birthday, you've been so negative with me. Why?" She asked, the hurt in her eyes once more making feel guilty about my outburst.

But this time I wasn't having any of it. "Lexi, I'm too tired to fight with you. If you can just stop judging and thinking worse of me then our problems will be solved. You know as Christians we are meant to look for the goodness of others. But you...you look for the worse. God forbid anyone can't be as perfect as you are." I was so full of angst, I had to get up and run for the stairs.

I knew I left her in shock, but I just couldn't afford to be guilty for my actions this time. I was too exhausted for that.

My life was worryingly warping and revolving around Nicholas Alessandro Camiloto' these days, it was impossible to full acclimatise myself in his world.

It's been a week since I met Nicholas sister and since then, she's accepted me in her world. I was meant to show her around the city but it seemed like I was the one touring instead. Nina Camiloto practically forced me to go everywhere with her and her small crew consisting of Mary, her publicist, Andran her hair stylist and Jill her make up artist. They all adored Nina, treated her like the princess she was.