Chapter 12

Nicholas had followed me because he was waiting outside when I emerged, leaning against the wall for support. The look on his face was as if he was ready to murder the phone he held in his hands.

When he saw me approaching, he met me in two strides, grabbed my arm and began hauling me behind a big red curtain of a wide glassed door. He practically broke the latch by how hard he yanked it as he dragged me out into the cool chilly air of the balcony.

"Explain what the bloody hell this is!" He waved the phone in front of my face, his tone of voice beyond civil.

"Well, hello to you too, Nicholas. By the look of the item you're holding, I believe it's an iPhone."

My sarcasm wasn't appreciated when he glowered at me, "Cut the bloody crap, Ariella."

While trying to figure out why exactly he was angry, I realised the phone he held was the one he bought for me. On the screen were the text messages Danny Schubert had sent me.

Crãp, he'd gone through my messages.

"I don't have all day."

I frowned, mostly to myself than him. Was I suddenly feeling guilty for completely harmless messages? Pathetic. That's what I was.

"Why did you go through my messages?" I used a measured tone of voice. But really inside, I was beyond irritated.

"Your phone was vibrating incessantly; I could've ignored it if your ring tone wasn't so annoying. The boy wanted to know if you were free to talk with him now, when he heard my voice he cut the call. I was curious so I checked your messages." He practically spat each word at me.

The silence that followed was infused with our glare off.

"You want to go out with this boy?"

"I haven't exactly answered him have I."

He towered over me, trapping me further into the corner. "Answer the damn question Ariella. Do you really want him?"

"What's it to you Nicholas, whether I want to go out with him or not? It's not like you care." I tried not to feel subdued against those impeccable eyes brimming with rage.

His eyes flashed with icy coldness. "I forbid it."

I gasped, taken aback. "And what gives you the right?"

He drew closer, covering every inch of space separating us. "You belong to me Ariella. Get that. Me. No one else."

I didn't expect to experience heart failure from his statement. I was shocked, momentarily, into an angry silence before I blurted, "I don't see no priced tag saying that I do."

"Goddammit!" He ran an exasperated hand on his locks hair, his hard body pressing against me. Before I could even flinch, he was kissing me, ardently, feverishly. As if staking his claim when he took my lower lip between his teeth while groaning deep below his throat.

For a moment, I involuntarily dissolved into the kiss. Submitted myself to him before I pushed him away and slapped him hard on his cheek.

At that moment Lexi's face popped into my mind. How if she were here she would be scolding his use language and how he should not use God's name in vain as he just did. Thinking of Lexi, made my heart ache. We still haven't resolved our fight yesterday. I knew it wasn't Christian of me, but lately I haven't been exactly practising my faith, in fact I've been avoiding it completely.

Nicholas's eyes flared ferociously. "What was that for?"

I grunted, flailing my hands at him in silent but angry hand gestures. Then I snatched my clutch from his hand and walked away.