SIX

Cambria stood there, observing the scene in front of her, momentarily stunned. She tried to take in everything that had just happened in a span of minutes.

There was the conversation with Naomi, followed by Theo sharing an intimate moment with a girl out front. And then the icing on the cake: Jackson, poolside, making out with someone.

Before they could see her, she turned and made her way back up the steps, returning to the safety of the kitchen.

She needed to leave. She needed to be home.

She was almost at the front door when he intercepted her. "I've been looking for you," said Theo. "Where'd you go?"
"I needed air."
"Can we talk?"
"I'd like to leave."
He stared at her. "Let me explain. It's not what it looks like."
"It's fine, Theo. I just want to go home."
"We were just having a cigarette. That's all."
"You can do whatever you like. We're not dating."
He made a face. "Why would you say that?"
"Because it's true. If you want to talk to other girls, you can."
"I don't want to talk to other girls. I want to talk to you. I came here with you."
She held his gaze, unwavering.
"I'm sorry for leaving you," he continued. "I shouldn't have done that. She's an old friend, Camille. But I promise I won't leave you again. Are you okay?"
"I'm fine."
"How much have you had to drink?"
"Too much."
"Okay. I can either take you home, or you can go upstairs to the spare bedroom and lie down, since I'm not really in a state to drive right now."

He didn't really give her much of a choice.

Together, they ascended the stairs to the second floor. Theo led the way, down the hall, to a vacant bedroom. He turned on the bedside lamp, then left to fetch her some water. When he returned, she was lying down, already on the fringes of sleep.

When she awoke an hour later, she felt sober and clear-minded. She spotted Theo in the corner of the room, slumped against the wall, fast asleep.

She sat up slowly, then reached for the glass of water he had left for her on the nightstand. Once she had quenched her thirst, she stood and made her way over to Theo, kneeling in front of him.

She took this opportunity to study his face. He looked so peaceful in this state. She couldn't stay mad at him. It was a misunderstanding.

Gently, she woke him.

His eyes opened and found hers. "Am I in heaven?"
She laughed.
"Are you an angel?"
"Good morning to you, too."
"What time is it?"
"Almost two."
He rubbed his eyes and sat up. "How are you feeling? Better?"
"Yes."
"Good. I was worried about you." They both stood.
Once they were face-to-face, Cambria said, "How many girls have you been with?"
He blinked. "What?"
"You told me you don't do this often."
"I don't."
"That's not what I heard."
"Who told you that? Naomi?"
Cambria didn't respond.
"Don't listen to them, all they do is gossip. I wouldn't believe anything they told you."
"Even that you were cheated on?"
He pursed his lips together. "She said that?"
"Yes."
He shook his head. "Yeah, it ended pretty badly."
"I'm sorry."
"Not really something I want to be discussing at this very moment," he scratched the back of his head. "I'd rather just focus on you. Are we good?"
"We're good."
"Okay, good. I'm sorry again."
"You don't have to apologize. I get it."
He smiled, then put his hand out for her to take. "Shall we?"

They made their way downstairs, where the crowds of people had significantly thinned. Theo brought her to the kitchen and got her another glass of water. She perched herself on one of the barstools while Theo began rummaging through the cupboards.

Grayson appeared then, with his girlfriend, Meredith. "Looking for something, Boudreau?"
Theo turned to face him. "Do you not have any food in here?"
"Should be leftover pizza in the fridge." Grayson slid into the seat next to her, adjusting Meredith on his lap. "Cambria, darling, you good?"
"I'm fine, thank you," she gave him a smile and took another drink of water.
"Did you have a good night?" Meredith asked. "You disappeared for a bit there."
"She had a bit too much to drink," Theo said as he sat down with the pizza box. He opened it and handed her a slice.
"Happens to the best of us," Grayson reassured her. "As long as we didn't scare you off."
"No, not at all. You guys are great."
The back door opened and a few more people sauntered in, Jackson amongst them. The girl from the pool was hanging off his arm.
He immediately locked eyes with Cambria.
"There you are," Grayson beamed as Jackson approached. "Heard you almost broke your neck."
"I think that's a grave exaggeration," he pulled out a chair, took a seat, pulled the girl onto his lap. Cambria felt something inside her stir.
"And who might we have here?" Theo said between bites.
"This is Natalia."
"Natalia, I'm Theo. And this is Cambria."
"Hi."
"Hi."
"How'd you get hoodwinked into being Jackson's plus-one?"
She laughed, a deep, raspy laugh. "No trickery required. It's an honor to be here."
"Where'd you find this one again?" from Grayson. He had just opened another beer.
"At Tap, last Friday."
Cambria looked at him inquisitively. He caught her eye, held it.
She had this peculiar feeling that nothing was going how it should.
The conversation continued, and Cambria tried to act normal, feel normal. But she could not be placated.
She looked to Natalia once more and felt the unease growing. This didn't seem right. Everything seemed off. And then there was Jackson, who kept looking at Cambria as though he were speaking to her in a language she did not yet understand.

The night finally concluded just after three. Theo was sober enough to drive at this point, so he and Cambria said goodbye and headed out.

"Thank you for coming tonight," he said as they idled outside her building.
"Thank you for bringing me. I had a good time."
"Did you, though?"
She laughed. "For the most part, yes. Your friends are really sweet."
"Grayson's the best. You're going to love him."
"I believe that."
"And about earlier... We're okay?"
"Yes, we're okay. I just want you to be honest with me."
"And I have been. You can disregard anything else Naomi told you. Trust me on that."
"Okay."
"I like you, Cambria. I don't want to mess this up."
"I like you, too."
He gave her a soft smile. "I'd really like to kiss you now."
"Kiss me, then."

She couldn't remember the last time she'd been kissed.