Chapter 3

Y/N's POV
I had fucked up. I sat at the piano on stage, sweating from my performance. I heard the audience cheering and clapping and I quickly stood up and bowed.
I stared at the ground intensely as sweat dripped down my face.
I had really fucked up.
I messed up while I was playing and paused for a moment. It was really brief but I knew my mother would notice.
I stood back up and saw my mother in the audience. She was staring into my soul with a scowl on her face. I gulped.
I saw my brothers cheering and I smiled slightly.
Sal and Larry had asked to come to the performance but I had told them no, it was embarrassing.
I walked off the stage.
"You did so good!" I heard someone say.
I looked up to see a girl around my age, maybe a bit older, but taller than me. She had short hair. I recognized her, she had gone before me.
Her expression shifted when she saw my face.
"Why do you look so pale?" She asked.
I looked away and at the ground. I panted, my lungs felt like they were being squeezed.
"I-I uh...I messed up..." I managed to get out.
I felt her lay a hand on my back. "It's ok! We all make mistakes sometimes, besides. I don't think the judges even noticed."
I shook my head, "N-No it's not...m-my mom will..." I shuddered.
"I'm sure it'll be alright. After all, she has to understand that we aren't perfect!" This girl was trying so hard to cheer me up.
I swallowed and stood up, looking at her.
"Thanks...I'm Y/N."
She smiled, "I'm Robin. Robin Benedict."
We stood there for a moment before I started walking to leave backstage.
"Well, I better get this over with and talk to my mom...thanks again." I spoke.
She gave a wave, "Hope to see you again soon!"
I smiled before walking out into the lobby.
There she was. My angry mother. I walked up and stared at the ground.
"Y/N. Do you know what you did wrong?"
I swallowed, "I-I hesitated..."
She placed a hand on my shoulder. "That's right."
I nervously glanced at her hand and she started to grip. She squeezed down on my shoulder.
"It's ok sweetie." She gripped down even harder, "We all make mistakes."
She was bruising me and I frantically looked over to see Nathan and Jacob staring sympathetically.
She leaned down to whisper, "If you don't place, we'll have more to discuss later."
She finally released me and walked back towards the entrance to the auditorium.
Nathan walked up to me, followed by Jacob.
I shivered.
"You alright Y/N? What'd she say to you?" Nathan asked.
"I-I...I mean...she didn't slap me this time...she threatened me though so hopefully...we'll see, but hopefully I place."

I ended up placing second and was given a $50 prize. I sat in the car on the way home with my ribbon. I stared out the window as we approached Addison Apartments.
We parked out front and I hopped out of the car. Jacob climbed out of the car and stood next to me.
"I know Y/N...it'll be ok..."
I nodded.
Nathan walked up to us and patted me on the head. My mother walked past us and up to the apartment doors.
I sighed and the three of us followed behind.

I laid on my bed, staring at the ceiling. I hadn't noticed, but tears started to slip down the side of my face, mixing into my hair. I was still in my formal clothes from performing. I wore a black suit with a red tie. I had pulled the tie off and the shirt was unbuttoned a little bit.
I heard a knock on the door to the apartment and ignored it.
"Y/N can you get that?!" I heard Jacob.
I groaned and stood up. I tossed my suit jacket onto my bed, which was now messy from me flopping on it.
I walked out of my room and to the door. I looked through the peephole to see Sal. I panicked momentarily.
What is he doing here?!
I don't wanna tell him I didn't win!
I swallowed. Then came another knock.
Shit!
I took a deep breath and opened the door. I put on a smile.
"Hey Sal! What's up?"
He looked at me and reached up to my face. I jolted back.
"W-What is it?" I asked.
"Are you alright? You've been crying..." he spoke softly.
My eyes widened.
I've been crying??
I nodded, "Yeah I'm good, just tired from the performance."
Sal looked down at my outfit and I realized I was showing some cleavage. I quickly put my hands over my chest and buttoned the shirt.
Sal looked back at my face, his ears a slight red,
"You look nice..." he spoke kindly.
I smiled, "Thanks, it's my performance get up. I usually wear a jacket and tie as well."
"Ah, how'd you do?"
I swallowed, "Um...I got...second..." I looked down in shame.
Sal clapped his hands together,
"That's great Y/N! You did well!"
I looked up, cheeks turning a slight pink. I wasn't used to praise, "You think so?"
"Yeah! That means you beat pretty much everyone else!"
I smiled, "Thanks!" I felt a little better about myself.
"What did you perform?" He asked.
"Clair De Lune...I messed up a little though..."
"I don't know that song...will you play it for me?" He asked and looked at me with his hands together in a pleading motion.
I laughed, "Nice try, but no. Maybe some other time, but I've already told you I don't like performing for people I know."
He sulked, "C'mon, I wanna hear you play!"
I chuckled, "No." I stuck my tongue out at him.
"Fine fine...I won't push." He sighed defeatedly.
I smiled, "Thank you." I reached over and ruffled his hair.
His mask moved slightly, indicating he was smiling.
"Hey when do you start school?" He asked suddenly."
I swallowed, it was Sunday, "Tomorrow..."
He patted my shoulder, "That's awesome! You'll get to meet new people besides me end Larry! You'll fit right in, I'm sure!"
I shrugged, "Maybe...I dunno. Are there bullies?"
He seemed taken aback by my question, "Oh um...yeah. Actually I'm a target for them. So uh-maybe you should act like you don't know me..." he trailed off.
Now I was shocked, "What?!"
"Yeah! I mean, you have a good shot at being popular...maybe you shouldn't ruin it by...well y'know...being friends with me..." he was staring at the ground off to the side.
"Sal...you know I respect you...but that's the dumbest shit you've ever said. It's total bullshit!" I spoke out harshly.
He looked up at me, "What?"
"I'd rather get bullied than have to lose you as a friend. You're like, the closest friend I have here! I'm not just gonna give that up for some fucking popularity contest!" I snapped at him.
He stepped back at my aggression and stared at me. I could see his eyes under his mask and they were wide.
I took a deep breath, "Sorry...I'm really passionate about defending my friends."
He stood, stunned for a second before laughing, "I've never seen you get so mad before!" He laughed.
I chuckled along with him, "I guess you haven't."
We talked a little while longer before he was going to go visit Larry. I couldn't join unfortunately, with my mother and all, but Sal didn't know that.
He started to walk away, "See you at school tomorrow!" He chirped before going into the elevator. I sighed and closed the apartment door.
"Who was it?" I heard Jacob ask as he walked out of his room. He froze when he saw me, "Hey are you ok?"
I was confused, "Yeah why?"
"You have mascara tear stains."
Oh right
"Ah those, I was crying earlier but I'm good now." I spoke.
He nodded, "Alright. Who was at the door? You were talking for a while."
"My friend. He lives next door."
Jacob sighed, "The kid with the mask? What did I tell you about befriending weirdos-"
"Hey. Watch it." I spoke coldly.
He shook his head, "I just don't want you to get hurt at school...kids are mean."
I smiled, "I know, I can take care of myself though. I may be younger than you but I'm not a baby."
"I know, I know...just...be careful, ok?"
I nodded and he walked over to the kitchen, "Let's get some food, I'm starving!"
I chuckled, "Alright."