Chapter 15

Zhongli recognized the man. His name is Childe from Snezhnaya and a member of the Fatui. What Zhongli didn't understand is why he's with Y/n or if that is Y/n.

"Oh! Zhongli!"

Childe grinned and waved him over. As Zhongli got closer, the gaze of the woman next to Childe caused Zhongli to believe she was Y/n with every step he took.

"Zhongli, I'd like for you to meet my fiancee, Y/n!"

His breath hitched.

It is her.

Y/n beamed at him.

"Hello."

Even her voice sounded the same.

The dinner went by quickly and Zhongli stayed, watching Childe take Y/n away. Her arm, looped and locked with Childe's, her laughter shared with Childe, her smiles directed at Childe.

That's her.

No doubt, that is Y/n. But she's in love with someone else, with another man. She's far too happy to steal her away.

I see her promise did not follow her through her incarnation.

"Morax or no, Zhongli or no, it doesn't matter!" She exclaimed, arms tightening around his waist. "We've been together for this long, you've loved me for this long, and you didn't leave me as soon as you were reborn! You stayed! You chose to stay with me! And I have no intention of letting you go! Not until I grow old and pass! Even then, I'll come back! I'll find a way back! Somehow I'll find you again in my next life! I don't know how but I will!"

It was dark now. Morina walked through the halls of the estate her father had built in the teapot, the estate she and Morien had spent years running and having fun as children. She stopped in front of her father's office and knocked.

"Come in."

She opened the door and closed it behind her. Before she can even speak, her father beat her to it.

"Your mother is alive."

The father and daughter sat together and he explained to her what he had seen.

"This is fantastic!" Morina exclaimed, clasping her hands together. "Father, this is amazing news! Oh, I need to tell-"

"Morina, wait," Zhongli caught his daughter's wrist, stopping her from leaving. "Sit back down. I have more to tell you."

Morina frowned but sat down as he had told her to.

"She's too happy for me to take her away, Morina." 

 "Happy?" Morina repeated. "With the Fatui Harbinger? Father, you and mother are-"

"It was a coincidence my mortal form was married to your mother," Zhongli cut her off. "I remember the shock, I remember her expression when she learned I was not the husband she had married."

"But she told you, didn't she? She told you she'll come back to you somehow after she was reincarnated!"

She did. She did promise him that, but.

"Perhaps...in her next life, she will."

And he was willing to wait until then.