THREE. get your skin in the game

━━ ♛ ━━

━━ ♛ ━━

          ━━ "I HAVE A QUESTION," Delaney began, stepping into Tony's workshop. "Why me?"

"Why you what? Why you have a major superiority complex?" Tony retorted. His voice was a bit muffled due to the iron welder's mask on his face.

"Ew, no. also, wrong." Her nose scrunched in disgust.

"Do you want me to keep guessing?" He removed the mask.

"No, thank you." The girl answered, crossing her arms. "But, why'd you come to me? Why not an actual doctor? I haven't studied or- or trained for this. So why me?"

"First of all, I didn't come to you. You came to me. Second of all, doctors have a love-hate relationship with me."

"What'd you do?"

"Well, on one hand, I'm Iron Man. I pay their bills. On the other hand, I'm Iron Man. They tend to think I'm a weapon of mass destruction."

"So I'm your last option."

"Hey, at least you get to stay in my multi-million dollar tower!" The man refuted with a shrug. "You've got that goin' for you."

"Tony-" She began, only to be cut off by her uncle.

"Uncle Tony." He corrected. When Delaney cocked a brow and gave him a skeptical look, Tony closed his eyes with a sigh. "Pepper told me to tell you that. She thinks it's weird that you say 'Tony' instead of 'Uncle Tony.'"

"She never said that to me..."

"You know how Pepper is. She likes being a good host."

While Delaney and Pepper seemed to have a mother-daughter relationship, Delaney and Tony's relationship was more platonic than fraternal.

So, the man never got mad when the girl never called him 'Uncle Tony.' As a matter of fact, he preferred it; he couldn't fathom the thought of fatherhood, which is what 'Uncle Tony' reminded him of.

Also, it made him feel old. Tony Stark is a lot of things. He's a genius, a billionaire, a playboy, a philanthropist. He's a jerk.

But he's not an old jerk.

"Ew. I'm not doing that." Delaney shook her head, scrunching her nose as she sat beside Tony. "So, you wanted to make something that won't destroy everything and called me for it. What exactly do you need me for?"

"JARVIS?" Tony called out, looking to the suits behind them.

"Yes, Mr. Stark?"

"Pull out Mark VII." He requested. One of the seven suits slowly stepped onto the raised, circular platform.