FIVE. the book of t. stark

━━ ♛ ━━

━━ ♛ ━━

          ━━ "WE NEED TO TALK." Pepper crossed her arms as Delaney stood in front of the bathroom mirror, brushing her teeth.

"What about?" Delaney turned, looking to her aunt-in-law. "What'd I do?"

"Tony. He's been acting different since you've come here." She explained, Delaney listening as she spat out the frothy toothpaste. "He doesn't seem to care about safety issues as much as before. You've probably heard about the Malibu mansion, right?"

"Of course I have." Delaney's brows furrowed as she thought about when she heard of the bombing.

"Well, I told him that I was a bit concerned that it could happen again, and he dismissed me. I know we could handle it, but I was mainly worried about you. I mean, when was the last time you survived a terrorist's bombing?"

"Second grade," Delaney answered gravely before looking to the blonde. "Mrs. O'Donnell's class."

'What?!" Pepper shrieked. How did she not know about this?

"I'm kidding, Pepper!" The brunette chuckled. "I'm just kidding. But, seriously, I've never survived a terrorist's bombing, thank the Gods. But, I see why you'd be so nervous."

"Exactly!"

"But you have to think about your audience. We're talking about the man who told Mandarin his address. That sounds like suicide to me. But, in his mind, he's a hero. If you want to get to Tony Stark, talk like Tony Stark. Speak his language. Get on his wavelength. Read him like a book, and analyze the pages until you can recite what he'll say next. That's how my mom said she handled him." Delaney explained, placing her hands on the blonde's shoulders.

"Why am I taking advice from a child?" Pepper groaned, putting her head in her hands.

"I'm not a child," Delaney groaned with exasperation. "I'm an adult."

"Semi-adult. Legally, barely, but not mentally or emotionally." Pepper chuckled, looking up at the young adult while tucking her hair behind her ears. "Thank you." She thanked her niece-in-law seriously, Delaney nodding as the blonde exited the room. Delaney looked at herself in the mirror, staring intently into her own eyes.

Although she knew how to handle and talk to Tony Stark, it didn't mean that she wasn't intimidated by him. She acted like everything was fine, but the truth was that she was slightly scared of who he was and what he could do. Sure, he was fun to argue with, and it was funny when he got agitated with her.

But most people would be scared if they saw the man behind the iron suit.

"Pepper?" She called out. "Can you come here for a second?"