EIGHT. earth's mightiest heroes

━━ ♛ ━━

━━ ♛ ━━

          ━━ THE NEXT DAY, Delaney and the other agents were called into the briefing room, which was being repaired rather quickly. However, two of the teammates were missing.

Fury pulled out a handful of cards that had Steve's face on them. They resembled playing cards, which reminded Delaney of baseball cards.

He scattered the cards on the table, some of them wet with blood. "These were in Phil Coulson's jacket." The director looked to Steve. "Guess he never did get you to sign them."

Steve said nothing, staring at the cards with regret in his eyes.

"We're dead in the air up here." Fury told his team bluntly. Our communications, location of the cube, Banner, Thor. I got nothing for you. Lost my one good eye. Think I had that coming." He pointed to his eye as he made his way around the table, approaching Steve and Tony.

"Yes, we were going to build an arsenal with the Tesseract. I never put all my chips on that number, though, because I was playing something even riskier. There was an idea, Stark knows this, called the Avengers Initiative."

Delaney looked to Tony, who's face told her that he didn't want to talk about the initiative.

"The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, see if they could become something more. See if they could work together when we needed them to, to fight the battles that we never could. Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea, in heroes."

The team watched as Tony stood up and exited the room without a word. "Well," Delaney thought to herself. "Fury definitely struck a nerve."

Since Delaney wasn't really apart of the Avengers Initiative, Fury and the others allowed her to leave.

The first thing she did was make her way to the bathroom, which was a lot bigger than she expected. It came complete with a shower, which made sense. Agents were fighting and stressing all the time, so of course they'd need to bathe at some point.

She whipped out her phone and dialed her mother's number as fast as her thumbs would allow her. Delaney knew that her phone rang in battle and during her work, but she never got to answer it.

The phone didn't even ring for long before Eloise pick up. "So, first, you go out in Tony's suit and hang up mid call, then-"

"Leave New York." Delaney warned. "Pick up everything and leave New York."

"What- Delaney, what's going on?"