FOUR. off-brand tony

━━ ♛ ━━

━━ ♛ ━━

          ━━ "ARE WE MAKING THE RIGHT DECISION?" Pepper asked aloud. She had been sitting on her and Tony's bed, twiddling her thumbs anxiously. This was a normal habit that she did to calm her nerves. "We know what happened to the Malibu mansion. What if it happens again?"

"It won't, Pepper." Tony called from the bathroom through the toothpaste in his mouth. He had to strain his ears to hear his girlfriend over the loud motor of his electric toothbrush. "Vanko's dead. We're fine."

"And if we're not?" She got up and stormed into the large bathroom, standing in the doorway. "What if we're getting her killed?"

"We're not, Pepper." He reassured his girlfriend in a cynical tone. "Delaney's gonna be fine."

"How do you know?"

"Because there are no supervillains waiting to whip us with weird glowing whips?" His brow rose as he asked the rhetorical question. "Pepper, I get that you're scared, but it's for nothing!"

"I know we'll be fine. But what about Delaney? She's used to the money, and she's made that very clear. But what about the threats? You're a very influential man, Tony. She may not realize that."

"She won't have to." He spit out the toothpaste, wiping his mouth with a nearby towel. "Because we have a state-of-the-art protection system, hand created by moi." He pointed to himself with a smug smirk. "We're fine. She's fine."

"But what if there was some freak accident?"

"There won't be."

"It's happened before." Pepper reminded in a grave voice, Tony's smirk fading as he looked at the blonde's reflection in the mirror.

"Don't start this." He warned.

"It happened before, so it could happen again. That's all I'm saying."

"Pepper..." He took a deep breath, keeping his composure. He had to calm himself before he said something that he didn't mean. "Please don't bring that up."

"But it's a valid argument."

"Sorry I don't wanna talk about my dead brother, Pepper!" His voice raised in anger. "Sorry I don't wanna discuss a potentially fourth dead Stark!"

"You have to talk about it at some point, Tony." Pepper calmed down, laying her hand on Tony's hand as she spoke in a soothing tone. "I know you don't want to, but you have to. Besides, your lack of concern is unlike you. Normally, you'd be so overprotective of Delaney. What's wrong?"