Chapter Fourteen

After Steve left, I decided to go in, the couch with a good old movie sounded perfect on this fall day. Opening the door, I saw Tipsy was right there next to me, "you want to spend the day on the couch with me?" I asked her.

She let out a little bark and followed me inside the house. I refreshed my coffee, went to the bathroom, grabbed a few blankets, and got comfortable on the couch, once settled, Tipsy jumped up and laid with me.

The rest of the day went by nice and quiet; Aunt Mable was not anywhere around; Steve called and was stuck at work for a bit longer. I told him no rush I had Tipsy and the remote, we were good.

He mumbled something about the dog before he hung up, Tipsy was a part of the household now, she never went over to Aunt Mabel's, and Mabel was fine with it.

I could hear a car pull up, thinking it was Steve since Tipsy had a low growl to her, which she usually does when Steve comes home, but there was a knock at the door.

Tipsy jumped down and started to bark, she went running and somehow managed not to hit anything on her way to the front door. She is getting better at navigating, I thought.

I opened the door and there stood my parents. "Do you have the paperwork?" my father asked. "Hold on" I said and closed the door, I went into the kitchen and grabbed the paperwork that they wanted.

Taking one last look at it, I took a deep breath and went to the front door, I opened the door and handed them the paperwork, my father took it, looked it over and saw that I signed everything that needed to be sighed.

Without another word, they turned around and left. I stood there watching their car drive out of sight.

"Well girl, that is done and over with, and honestly I feel better now that everything is over, that old life is gone, and I am happy to start fresh with this" I said as I rubbed my belly.

Just then Steve pulled up, Tipsy growled and sat down at my feet, she was doing her guard duty, even though a leaf blowing by, she would bark, pee, and then hide, but she felt she was doing her job sitting next to me.

"I saw your parents drive like their ass was on fire, everything okay?" Steve asked walking up to me. "Everything is okay, I gave them the paperwork, its official, I am no longer their daughter" I said looking out into the woods.

Steve wrapped his arms around me, "I'm sorry little mouse, I know that was one of the toughest decisions you have had to make" he said as he kissed the top of my head.

"Honestly, I'm okay, didn't think I would be but for the longest time, I never felt their love, so in a since this made it easy to walk away from them."

"How about I take you into town for dinner tonight, a real date night?" I looked up at Steve, "that sounds great, but can we order takeout and put on a fire and just have our date here instead?"

I saw the smile form on his lips, "anything my little mouse wants, she gets" he said, and we went inside, shutting the door on the outside world, and on the last part of my old life.

The next hour was peaceful, sitting with Steve eating pasta by the fireplace. It reminded me of last year. How time goes by in a blink of an eye.

"Steve?" "Yes, little mouse?" "We have yet to come up with a name for our daughter" I said leaning back against the couch. Steve sat there for a moment.

"Well, I was thinking of a few names, but I was waiting to see if you brought up any" he said as he started to rub my stomach. "There are a few names that I was thinking of, one of them was Jade, the other one was Jasmine."

"I like them both, how about when she is born, once we have her in our arms, we can name her then?" he asked.

"You know, that's a perfect idea my bear" I said and winked. We both laughed, I always called him that since we were young.