1

Lavender didn't have a choice in the matter

Lavender didn't have a choice in the matter. She had to move to Derry, her parents made it impossible to have a normal life in Arkansas. Judgemental stares would follow her along with the whispers.

Lavender didn't do anything, it was her parents who had done it so she thought her only option was to move to Derry, Maine. Where her father's grandparents lived, she announced to Cindy Ronald Grey about her move and they were thrilled.

They loved the little girl who they hadn't seen since she was 7. Lavender had grown up a lot since then. Cindy and Ronald would barely be home for most of the first year she lived with them because, as they explained, they had made plans for trips, cruises, and things like that but she told them, she could take care of herself just fine.

She had been doing it most of her life.

Before she moved there or made the final choice of moving, she researched the small town.

She didn't like the fact that kids were going missing like crazy there but Lavender wasn't scared of anything. Well, almost nothing.

Her other set of grandparents dropped her off at the train station and she was on the large train for five days.

Lavender stood in front of the house, the numbers on the house matched the ones on the paper she was holding.

The other houses on the block were white or made of brick, they were large at least two stories but this house stood out like a sore thumb.

It was a one-story house with steps walking up to the door. The dark wooden door had glass in the middle of it and on the sides, the porch just added to the beautifulness that was the house.

"Don't be nervous, Lav." She whispers to herself as she places her suitcases on the ground beside her and knocks on the door. That's when she saw a thin-haired woman open the door.

"Lavender!" She says with a bright smile. She was walking with a walker but she let it go as she went to wrap herself around her granddaughter, Ronald was awkward and gave her a side hug with a small grin.

They were very kind to her, they told her about the school and where she would need to go. They showed her room, her bathroom, and just around her house.

They were very welcoming and that morning when she woke up. She felt like today was going to be a good day.

She put her hair half up and put in some dangly earrings, she put on an oversized Nirvana t-shirt and jean shorts.

It was still early in the morning, her grandparents were still sound asleep as Lavender made her some breakfast. 

She didn't know where the school was but she did have a map of the town in her backpack,  she started her walk to school. Holding the map in her hands and ever so often looked at it to make sure she was still going on the right way.