chapter ten

AT HOME, I SET THE timer for the lazana to bake, washing my hands in the sink and ripping off a paper towel to dry them. I narrowed my eyes and threw the crumpled paper towel at the garbage can, making it in.

"Still got it," I praised myself and remembered how my dad and I would play trash basketball. I know, it sounded kind of dumb and gross, but he made the game up so I'd help with clean up after dinner. It worked, that's for sure.

My mom was on the phone when the doorbell rang so I hurried over to open it, ready to greet Jamie when instead a tall man with no hair stood in his place.

Now, if Jamie suddenly grew about 5 inches and lost all his hair, I'd believe it was him. But I had no idea who this man was. My smile faltered until there was none left as I stared up at him. He gave me a grin and stuck out his calloused and raw hand. Immediately, I wondered what he did for a living.

"Sorry, I'm an artist. I'm actually the art teacher at the school your mom works at. It's Dan," his voice was deep, something I'd expect for a man his height.

"Finnley, don't be rude," my mom muttered through gritted teeth as she embraced Dan, giving him a hug and welcoming him into our home. just. like. that.

I always knew my mom would get back to dating, but I never thought she wouldn't discuss it with me. To be bombarded like this...it made my stomach twist and flip, my throat closing up. I couldn't speak anymore.

"Honey, this is Dan. I'm sure he already introduced himself but he'll be joining us for dinner," she smiled brightly, excited. She was practically glowing, and although I didn't want to ruin this moment, to be that kid, I just couldn't stand it anymore. I had to leave.

I grabbed my coat off of the hangar and rushed out the door, cutting my mom's voice off with a slam as I started to run away. I didn't know where I was heading, who I was going to, I just needed to run.

"Finnley?" I heard someone yell and I stopped, my lungs sucking in as much air possible, my chest heaving. I didn't even notice I'd been crying, shaking.

"Finnley? What happened?" I suddenly realized that it was Jamie, crossing the street. He must've been walking to my house for our project.

I tried to speak, but when I opened my mouth, nothing came out. I only cried instead. He looked so worried and unsure what to do, but when I started to crumple under the pressure, he grabbed me and held me up in his arms, hugging me tightly as I buried my head in his chest, probably getting tears and snot everywhere. I hoped he wouldn't mind.

My arms held onto him just as tight as I let it out, all the pain I'd felt today just releasing. It felt like nobody understood, but in this moment, the way he was holding me, felt like he knew exactly how I was feeling.

After a while, the sobbing subsided and I was only sniffing here and there. His chin was rested on my head as he rubbed my back, his chest rising every time he took a breath, and I noticed how we were in sync.

"Are you okay?" Jamie finally broke the silence, his voice soft and gentle.

"I don't want to go home," I murmured and shut my eyes. I knew my mom would be disappointed, but I couldn't go back there.

"We can go to mine," Jamie finally let go of me and held my hand as he walked with me back towards the school to his car.

"Are you sure you want to come?" Jamie asked as he unlocked his car, his hand clasped around the door handle of the passenger side.

"Yeah...I'm sure," Jamie gave me one more look before opening the door and letting me in.

I'd never been to his new house, nor his old one. I was going to Jamie's for the first time in my life, and instead of feeling nervous, I was relieved. He was giving me somewhere else I could stay, just for a while.