chapter five

THE MUSIC PULSED THROUGH MY ears as we walked around inside, navigating our way past the drunken and swaying bodies of sweaty teenagers. The music was so loud I could feel my heartbeat beginning to match the tempo of it, my whole body vibrating as the floor thrummed with pounding feet.

I needed to get out of there, so I yanked Monica towards an emptier area where red solo cups littered an island in the middle of the floor. Alcohol was everywhere on the table, beer cans opened and unopened.

"Well someone's in a hurry to get a drink," Monica murmured and I felt my cheeks flush.

"You know I don't drink, I'm just...uncomfortable," I replied and searched the table anyways, hoping there'd at least be something there for me to have.

"Hey, you wanted to come tonight," Monica retorted and gave me a look, signaling that I was not allowed to duck out. She was right. She got me invited and I had willingly come along. There was no ducking out now.

"You're right," I shook my head and looked around, watching tons of people conversing, and making out, and doing— AVERT EYES AVERT EYES. Monica just rolled her eyes at me and placed her hands firmly onto my shoulders.

"Finnley, you are an amazing person and I think it's time that you finally get out there and have some fun. So, in other words, good luck!" She gave me a wide smile and suddenly ducked into the crowd, leaving me standing there all alone.

What the hell.

I wasn't quite sure what to do with myself at that point. Yes, I had been eager and super excited to come, but now that I was here, my introverted and claustrophobic self was screaming at me to leave and return to the comforts of my bedroom. I bit my lip as I looked around the room that was full of teenagers making memories they'd never remember as they chugged down the devil's juice inside their famous red cups.

Monica was gone and there was no way I'd find her now, even though that had been a specific rule of my mom's. Great. Just great. I cursed under my breath and prepared myself to head back into the party. I knew this was Monica's thing, but I guess it was finally time for me to branch out on my own.

So what better way to start than hiding in the bathroom?

I just needed a second to breathe, and the bathroom would allow me that. Trying to go outside would mean I'd have to find my way through the maze of people, and I wasn't quite prepared to do that.

No, Finnley. You're here to have fun. Hiding in the bathroom is exactly what you shouldn't do. Have a drink and go have some fun! With a deep breath, I grabbed my wits about me, picked up and unopen beer, snapped it open, and took a swig.

"Bad idea," I sputtered since it really did taste like piss water, but nonetheless, I pushed myself forward.

I walked past people and tried to see if there was anything I could do other than dancing. Maybe someone was playing a card game? I didn't know, I never went to these things.

Before I could even react, some guy ran into me and made me spill my beer all over my brand new shirt.

"Oh, sorry, my bad," he laughed and pushed past me. I gaped at the stain and stared daggers after him. So maybe the bathroom had been a good idea all along.

"Shit," I hissed and quickly searched the house. It felt like I had looked all over to find an open bathroom. Unfortunately they were all occupied (not surprising) so I settled for a small TV room instead. I shut the door and kept the lights on, hoping that it would be a sign to keep others away.

I looked around for something to clean my shirt, and noticed that this wasn't just a TV room, but a whole theatre.

"Okay, what the actual hell," my free hand clapped to my side as I dropped it. But maybe if this was a theatre, some napkins would be close by. And maybe water.