Chapter 4

"Good morning!" McGonagall greeted her colleagues, everyone smiling at her warmly as she turned around to look at Selena who was taking in the faces at the table, taking note of similarities they had to those she remembered as well as the more than obvious differences.

"Good morning, Minerva, Ms. Campbell," Albus greeted them warmly, and Selena suppressed a gasp of sorrowful happiness, schooling her expression into one of kindness, and closing the shields around her mind as tightly as she could. "Since you came early this morning, Professor Campbell, we weren't there to welcome you. Please, accept our warmest greetings."

"Thank you, Headmaster," Selena bowed her head at Albus, happy that her voice wasn't as strained as she thought it would be. She could feel the eyes of the professors watching her every move with curiosity, and she sincerely hoped that Remus couldn't hear her mad heartbeat. "I apologize for not coming earlier. Unfortunately, my arrival has been delayed by personal matters."

"There is no need to apologize," Albus answered kindly, "but as things are, we will have to hurry it up a bit with the introductions," as he said that Albus looked to this right to the end of the table where Hagrid sat, smiling brightly at Selena. "Meet Professor Rubeus Hagrid, who teaches Care Of Magical Creatures."

"Pleased to meet ya," Hagrid greeted in his gruff voice and Selena couldn't help but smile at her kindly.

"I assure you, Professor Hagrid, the pleasure is mine," Selena bowed at the half-giant who grunted something into his beard, a small blush covering his cheeks, and Albus continued with his introduction smiling almost knowingly.

"Beside him is Professor James Potter, our flight instructor, and his lovely wife Lily Potter who teaches Charms." The two waved at Selena with bright smiles, and the Mistress of Death felt her heart clench, only Luka's reassuring presence behind her stopping her from running out of the hall crying her heart out. "Beside them is Professor Sirius Black, who teaches History, and his husband Professor Remus Black, our Arithmancy professor."

Selena swallowed a choked up whimper, happiness mixing with sorrow at seeing how everything would be if Voldemort never rose to power. A part of her was cursing Luka avidly, while another part was grateful to him.

"Then to my left is our Head Nurse, Madam Poppy Pomphrey, and our Potions professor Severus Snape," while Albus continued the introductions, Selena was listening with only half an ear, too taken aback by the smile Severus sent his way. She remembered the Potions Master as a man weighed down by guilt and self-loathing, and there he was, calm and collected, black eyes peaceful and full of kindness. "... and of course you know Professor Minerva McGonagall who teaches Transfiguration."

Feeling a nudge from Luka, Selena took in a deep breath and bowed at all of them, blinking quickly to chase away the tears which started to sting her eyes.

"It is a pleasure to meet all of you. I hope I will live up to your expectations," she spoke humbly before straightening.

"Oh, we are sure you will," Minerva said as she placed a gentle hand on Selena's left forearm and started leading her to her seat at the table, Luka following close behind. But instead of taking a seat in the free chair beside Selena, Luka chose to stand behind her, his watchful eyes boring into the back of Selena's head. "Your qualifications are astounding!"