Chapter 5

"Luka, please," Selena muttered before answering Minerva's comment, glancing back at Death, "you know how much I don't like you hovering over me like that." Her words must have amused the other professors since all of them either laughed or snickered at her, and Luka laughed lightly slowly taking a seat.

"Excuse me, young..."

"And I think I asked you a thousand times before to stop calling me 'young Mistress' or any variation thereof," the Mistress of Death bit out and Luka laughed at her.

"You two appear to be very close," Lily commented and Selena choked up a bit.

"I have been in Lord Campbell's service for many years now. One would say a whole lifetime," Luka lied skilfully and Selena licked her lips.

"Luka has been by my side ever since I can remember, so one could say that we are close," Selena managed to force those words out sounding as casual as possible, "Although, even after so many years, he still insists on being formal."

"I merely show you due respect," Luka answered with a sly smirk and Selena raised an eyebrow with a dull stare. "Besides, I am only your lowly servant." Those who have seen a nerve beside Selena's right eye twitch laughed, meaning Lily, James, Remus and Sirius, and Selena blushed furiously as he looked at his plate, feeling Luka's eyes watching her.

"You know very well that you're more than that," Selena muttered into his chin.

"Have you two grown up together?" Selena looked up when Severus asked the question, finding only innocent curiosity in the Potion Master's black eyes.

"Luka is older than me. You could say he knows me since I was in my diapers," Selena answered, smirking at Luka who merely chuckled.

"My family has been in the service of the Campbells for many generations. We have always watched over our Mistress and served them with great love and joy. I was still young when Mistress Selena was born, but I have been with her ever since then. It is my greatest joy to serve under her."

"I'd say," Selena murmured making everyone look at her, frowning in confusion when they've seen his expressive emerald eyes fill with sadness and many old questions. "No matter how many times I had offered freedom to Luka he never once took the offer."

"That must mean that you are a good woman, if you hold such loyalty from Luka," Remus commented and Selena looked at Death, a small frown marring her beautiful features.

"Believe me, she deserves it," Luka spoke in full conviction making Selena wonder if Death was such a good liar or if he was truly speaking the truth.

"Even after I have pulled you along during my travels for what feels like an eternity?" Selena drawled in a way which could have been interpreted as teasing to those who didn't know her, but to Death his tone was that of self-depreciation and doubt.

"You have travelled a lot?" Luka was saved from answering by Sirius' question, and both Mistress and Servant looked at the Black heir.

"Most of my knowledge concerning Defence against the Dark Arts comes from practical experience," Selena answered. "Ever since I finished my theoretical studies I have been travelling the world."

"Then you must have seen a lot," James grinned at Selena, and the Mistress of Death couldn't help but smile in return although her heart was breaking at the sight of her father, her soul aching at the thought that this man didn't even know that Selena was his daughter from a different dimension.

"One could say that we have seen everything there is to see," Luka answered, giving Selena a chance to gather herself.