Chapter 21

The party had started for about an hour now.

We welcomed the French family, but I didn't really had the time to speak with every single one of them.

There was the queen and the king, followed by the prince Frederick and the princess: Daphne.

Maxon explained to me that she told him she loved him, just before the selection started.
He promised me he wasn't feeling anything for her at the time, but she did.

Does she still do ?

I don't think so.
She is married now, since a year I think.
We were invited to her mariage, but unfortunately we couldn't go for a reason I honestly don't remember.
Or maybe Maxon was avoiding seeing her on purpose ?

Only this time, he couldn't.

They were here, in the palace, and they were clearly the center of interest for the whole day.

I saw Marlee chuckling in the corner of the room with Lucy.
The French queen was speaking with Sir Tills, and the French king with Maxon.
Daphne and Frederick were speaking with Aspen.

Where would I decide to go ?

Before I could make a decision, Marlee saw me and waved at my direction.

" Hello America." She said, smiling " The party is great !"
" Oh ! Really ? You like it ?" I asked her.
" Yeah ! Don't worry, everyone does. I saw the queen going to the buffet table more times then the three of us here : and God knows how much you like food." She teased, looking at me.

Lucy laughed.

I saw Aspen turning toward the voice, and he saw Lucy.
He smiled, then winked at her, which make her blush.

I smiled at the sight of them : they were clearly in love. I was so happy for them.

" So America." Lucy begun " Did you speak to some of the French family yet ?" she asked.
" Well, a little yes. But not that much." I replied.
" Princess Daphne seems like a nice girl. She is your age I think ?" Marlee said.
" Is she ? Maybe... but yes, she seems nice." I answered, my gaze shifting in her direction.
" There isn't that much of a connection between her husband and her though." Lucy added.
" You think so ?" I asked " I mean, I wasn't seeing any kind of particular affection between them, but maybe they like to be discret ?" I proposed.
" I think Lucy's right." Marlee started " There isn't this connection like you and Maxon have or like Lucy and Aspen." She said.
" Or like you and Carter." I added smiling.
" Whatever." She said, blushing a little.
" But go speak to them America ! Aspen is dealing with it alone, and, even if he like to speak about his work, I think they might get bored at the end." Marlee advice me " Or at least, leave the boys alone and go talk to Daphne ! I am sure you could be friends"

I don't really know about that but... she was right.
I was the queen and they were my guest, I had to make them feel comfortable.

" Okay. I'll go. See you later." I said to the girls, and walked toward Aspen, Prince Frederick and Princess Daphne.

Aspen saw me and said " Hello, your Majesty."

I smiled. " Hello." I said to everyone.

Frederick bowed " Your Majesty" and Daphne did the same, a little quicker.

" Are you enjoying yourself ?" I asked them.
" Yes, really." Frederick replied " Everything is perfect here."
Daphne just nodded in agreement.

Finally Aspen said, looking at Prince Frederick : " Why don't we leave the ladies talking a little."
" That's an excellent idea !" Prince Frederick answered for Daphne.