Chapter 44

If not specified, it's always America's POV.

I could hear people talking sometimes.
It was faint, like a sound far away but I could still catch a few words.

I know Maxon was sitting next to me, I could feel it.
I recognized his voice.

He was speaking to me but I couldn't catch everything.
I just wanted to hold him tight and answer back.
"...our children...America..." I heard him say.

I had to wake up.
I wanted to, and I had to.
I needed to see my love.

"...Love you... Come back....so much"

That's when, without knowing why, it clicked.

It was like electricity was sent in my whole body, running through my veins.

I could see a faint light at the end of a black tunnel.
The light was getting closer and closer, until I finally step out of it.

I opened my eyes, and at first, I was completely blinded by the bright light of the room.

I was lying on a bed, a hospital bed.

There he was : his hand in mine, his head lowered as a single tears was running on his cheek.

" I love you too, Maxon." I said in a weak voice.

He raised his head in an eye beat and looked at me.

" America ?" He asked, shocked.

I let out a small smile.

He started touching my cheeks, cupping them in both of his hands. " I love you." He said as more tears run down his cheeks.

He leaned down and kissed me.
It was warm and salty.

I started crying too.

Between two sobs I said " I love you. I love you, Maxon Schreave."

He touched my cheeks, caressing them with his thumbs, looking at me with eyes full of love.

" I was so scared I lost you for good. I missed you so much, America. I'm sorry for everything... I just.." he told me
" No, no. It's okay, Maxon." I replied " I... I am glad it was me instead of you."
" Don't say that. I would endure everything bad for you if I could. Everything." He said back " I saw what they did to you America. I just... I can't believe they hurt you, I wish I could make them pay right now." He said with a mixed of sadness anger in his eyes.
" Maxon, look at me." I took his chin " These scars are on my body so they aren't on yours."

He stare at me, more tears in his eyes.
I let run my own hot tears on my cheeks.

And we kissed again.
My lips against his were telling him all the words I couldn't and I know it was the same for him.

After we broke appart, we hold each other for a half an hour before Maxon said. " I need to tell the doctor you're awake."
I nodded. " Okay."

He kissed my forehead, stood up from the hospital bed and got out of the room, coming back only one minute after.

The doctor enter the room first, followed by Maxon.