𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘀𝗶𝘅.

chapter six

{ unedited }

FRIDAY CAME BY MUCH TOO QUICKLY FOR ROWAN'S LIKING AND THERE WAS ONLY ONE DAY UNTIL SOPHOMORE SLEEPOVER. Less than a day even. Considering it was from the afternoon on Saturday until Sunday morning, Rowan had no time to try and get out of it. Besides, Cameron was excited to spend the night with Austin so Rowan would deal with this much.

Speaking of Cameron, Rowan was dropping him off at the school. He was hugging her legs, not wanting to let go and Rowan sighed as she crouched down, forcing the little boy to look at her. He had been stressed all week over a test he had today even though Rowan had told him it didn't matter if he did badly on it.

"Hey, hey," Rowan mumbled, wiping away his tears. "Why are you crying?" Cameron shrugged, not giving an answer. "What did I tell you? Hm, Cam?" She urged when he didn't say anything.

"Tha―that...as long as I try my be-best it doesn't matter what I get. But―"

"But, nothing," Rowan interrupted. "It's one test. One little test. It doesn't matter in the long run. You've studied for this and it's for History. You love History. As long as you try your best and answer all you can, I'll be proud no matter what you get."

"It's okay?"

"It's okay," Rowan assured. She tilted her head up, pressing a soft kiss to the crown of his head before meeting his gaze and smiling at him. "I promise, it's okay. So go on, get in there. You're gonna be late."

"Okay," Cameron nodded. He spun on his heel and Rowan stood upright, watching as he walked closer to the entrance of the school. Her head tilted in confusion when he turned back around and ran to her, her face relaxing into a smile when he ambushed her legs in a tight hug. "Thank you," he mumbled before letting go before Rowan could hug back and ran into the school.

Rowan waited for a few seconds after he had gone in before turning to her car with the intention of heading to school but Georgia was leaning against her door. Rowan rolled her eyes lightheartedly as she made her way to the car. "Nice top," she said as she walked closer to the mother.

"Thanks!" Georgia said with a grin, looking down at her shirt whilst Rowan came to a stop next to her since the door to her seat was being blocked. "Not too desperate?" She asked, looking back up at Rowan.

"What's wrong with that?" 

"See, this is why I like you," Georgia smiled and Rowan rolled her eyes with a small one herself.

"And here I was thinking it was thanks to my naturally bubbly personality." Georgia scoffed as she grabbed hold of Rowan's chin and forced the girl's head to turn to her.

"With that face and attitude? Highly unlikely."

"Careful, someone might think you're being racist."

"I have a black daughter!" Georgia exclaimed, letting go of Rowan's chin as the younger girl laughed, leaning against her car door with a smile as she looked at Georgia.

"That sounds almost as bad as saying you can't be racist 'cause you've got a black friend. And it's not like they'll know that," Rowan pointed out, jutting her chin in the direction of Cynthia and the two other moms that followed her like puppies on a leash.

"Please, with the way Cynthia is all up in my business there's no way she doesn't know that."

"Wow. Someone's egotistical."