𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗲𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻.

chapter eighteen

{ extremely unedited }

BY THE TIME ROWAN WOKE, ABBY WAS ALREADY GONE. She left a note that there was something she needed to get before spending the day at Rowan's house and she'd be back as soon as she can so Rowan was picking up Cameron while she waited. She was worried to see her little brother. She didn't know how he would be feeling after what happened with Hugo. Luckily, Hugo was already gone when Rowan woke up and she guessed he'd be out the whole day. She was really hoping he would be or it'd just lead to more trouble for herself.

Rowan turned to the door when it opened, returning the smile Wyatt sent her. "Hey, Rowan. Cam's already had breakfast, he's just watching a movie. Hope that's alright. Cam insisted it was fine but I know how some parents are with early morning TV so hope your dad is okay with it."

Rowan knew Hugo didn't care about that in the slightest but didn't voice that. "It's alright. Was he okay?"

"He was great," Wyatt said with a smile. "Was out like a light as soon as he got in bed. Hold on, I'll go get him for you." Rowan thanked Wyatt as he left to get Cameron for her, shifting between her feet as she tried not to stare into the home with the door being wide open. It wasn't like she hadn't been there before, she has, but she like it would be rude to be peering in when he didn't know. So, she waited with her eyes set on the doorstep.

"Rowan." Rowan looked up when hearing Cameron's voice and knew instantly he wasn't any better than the day before. He wasn't smiling, he didn't even try to hug Rowan when he would always jump on her for one, and he was missing his usual spark.

"What, no hug?" Rowan asked with a smile, attempting to cheer him up even the slightest bit. "I'll consider it your birthday gift to me." Cameron's lips tugged up slightly as he walked forward and Rowan scooped him up into her arms, holding him up as his arms wrapped around her shoulders. "Thank you for letting him stay with short notice," she said, turning to Wyatt who was watching the siblings with a smile.

"It's no worries. Happy birthday, Rowan." With a last thank you, Rowan was making her way back to their house while still holding onto Cameron. His head was on her shoulder with his eyes closed, his breathing getting heavier.

"Don't fall asleep," Rowan mumbled as she kicked open their front door since she left it open when she left. "You invited two people over, remember? You're hosting so don't fall asleep."

"Me? Host?"

"Yep, you," Rowan said as she closed the door softly and placed him down on the floor. "They're your guests so you're in charge. So you can't fall asleep. It's your day today."

"But it's your birthday," Cameron said with a pout, following Rowan as she made her way to the kitchen. "You should choose what you do on your birthday. With your friends. Without me."

"It wouldn't be much of a birthday without you," Rowan said as she grabbed a glass and milk carton from the fridge. "I've been looking forward to our movie day for weeks. You really wanna let that tradition go?" Rowan asked, looking down at Cameron who stopped next to her, tugging at her jeans. He paused for a moment as if considering it before he shook his head and Rowan smiled. "Exactly," Rowan said as she ruffled his curls, "so you're gonna be there. Go freshen up, Abby'll be here soon."

An hour later, the doorbell rang and Rowan was quick to open it, Cameron running behind her to catch up. Both had changed into more presentable clothes since they had guests coming. Rowan was in a soft mint green v neck with a little t-rex stitched on―something Cameron had chosen for her to buy in the past because of the little dino―with a beige plaid checkered dress shirt underneath, sleeves rolled to her elbows completed with cargo drawstring pants of a coffee brown colour. Cameron was in a beige hoodie to match Rowan and a sage green overshirt, again, to match Rowan completed with dark blue shorts that ended at his knees.