𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗲𝗻.

chapter ten

{ unedited }

{ note ; was gonna make you guys wait but decided against it :) }

THIRTY FOUR MESSAGES AND TWELVE CALLS. That was what Rowan had missed from Abby in just one night. Rowan hadn't checked a single message or listened to any of the voicemails. She didn't want to deal with any of it and she did not want to talk to Abby.

Today it was about Cameron. Rowan hadn't made it about Cameron in a long time. Now that Georgia had moved to town and Austin became his friend, Rowan had dropped off Cameron whenever she could―essentially just abandoning him. It wasn't the same it was before the two had arrived and she was starting to see that now. It wasn't fair to Cameron what Rowan had been doing and she was planning on changing that, starting today.

Her injuries were a lot better than she had expected. She could cover most of them since they were scattered across her stomach. It was only her black eye and swollen lip she had a problem with. She figured she could cover her eye with sunglasses for today and makeup tomorrow for school and if she kept icing her lip today it would go down by tomorrow.

Rowan was on her way to Cameron's room, a tray balanced in her hands. She had made pancakes for him, even including whipped cream and golden syrup along with a glass of orange juice. He loved pancakes but hadn't had the chance to have them in a while since Rowan had been too busy to make them but, as stated before, this day was all about Cameron.

Rowan kicked the door open to his room and flicked open the light with her elbow. "Good morning," she said as the door closed behind her, watching as he sat up in bed while rubbing his eyes. "How are you feeling?"

"Tired," he yawned but his eyes lit up when he saw the tray in her hands. "Is that for me?"

"It is," Rowan answered, placing the tray down on his nightstand and handing him the plate of pancakes and the fork. "Eat 'em before they get cold. We're gonna do whatever you wanna do today."

Cameron's smile froze as he looked up from his breakfast at Rowan. She noticed the way his gaze froze on her black eye but quickly looked down at his plate, stabbing his food with the fork. "Is it 'cause of what happened last night?"

Rowan wanted to say no and that she simply wanted to spend time with Cameron but that wouldn't be entirely true. Last night with their father did make her realise she had been wrong to abandon Cameron like that. It made sense that he thought she left. Rowan wanted to lie but Cameron was smart even though he still acted the age he was when Grace left. He always knew when Rowan was lying. Even if he never called her out on it, he knew.

"A little bit," Rowan answered truthfully. She reached out when Cameron's face fell as he stuffed his face with pancakes, ruffling his curls lightly. "Last night helped me realise that I've been abandoning you because Georgia and Austin have moved here and I don't wanna do that anymore. I'm not gonna do that anymore so today is your day. Whatever you wanna do, let's do it."

"It won't hurt?" Rowan knew it would but still shook her head and leaned down to kiss Cameron's forehead, telling him it wouldn't. Cameron already knew it was a lie but he didn't say anything. "Do you want some?" Cameron asked, holding the fork up for Rowan who, again, shook her head.

"All yours. So what's the plan for today?"

"Hmm...walkies! Comic shop. Tacos." Cameron repeated the words to himself as Rowan took the empty plate from him and handed him the orange juice, nodding to himself before freezing and looking up at Rowan with wide, doe-like eyes. "Is that okay? N-not too much?"