𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆 𝗳𝗶𝘃𝗲.

chapter twenty five

{ unedited }

[ trigger warning ; { unintentional } transphobia//body image ]

STEVIE WILSON WAS, OVERALL, A CONFIDENT PERSON. They took pride in everything they did and never once doubted themself. However, there was one thing they were not confident in. Their gender identity. It wasn't how they viewed themself, Stevie knew who they were and they weren't going to change for anybody.

They weren't confident in how other people viewed them.

One of these people happened to include their recent crush; Marcus Baker. Marcus was a nice guy. He was. He wasn't one of those guys who said they were a nice person but turned out to be a douche. He was sweet, understanding, kind, loving, everything you'd want in a guy.

But Stevie knew he still saw them as a girl.

They didn't want to believe it but they knew it was true. Marcus, whether it be unintentional or not, viewed Stevie as a girl and not a person. That scared them. It scared them because they had to explain to him where he was going wrong and how it would change his sexuality which he seemed pretty confident in to be straight.

Stevie wasn't confident about that upcoming talk but they couldn't hold it off any longer. That's why they called Rowan, asking for her help. Rowan had met them in a skatepark, sitting a little away as Marcus and Nova practised new tricks. Stevie was hesitant in talking to Rowan―they hadn't known each other for long and it seemed like Rowan had been too busy for them recently. But, Rowan was one of Marcus' oldest friends and Stevie needed to know what she thought.

But first, they wanted to know more about whatever was going on with her and Abby. They and Marcus had a bet about when the two would get together. Marcus said before the Christmas break but Stevie believed it would be sometime near Easter.

"You said you'd wait?" Stevie asked, looking over at Rowan in disbelief. It took a while to coax the story out of her but Stevie knew it was worth it when seeing a faint blush dusting her cheeks. Something else happened, something Rowan was keeping from them, but this was good enough for them. Rowan nodded as she blew out the smoke, holding a cigarette between her fingers. "How long?"

"However long it takes," she answered, never meeting Stevie's eyes. She was too busy looking at Marcus and Nova practice new tricks and Stevie couldn't help but think she was purposely avoiding their gaze.

"Years?"

Rowan's body tensed from beside them before she relaxed and mumbled, "if I have to."

Stevie should be happy they would win the bet against Marcus but they were too worried about Rowan to care. They liked Abby, sure, but Rowan was their friend first even if Rowan didn't admit it. With one of their dads being a therapist and wanting to teach them everything he knew, Stevie knew how to read body language and what they were getting from Rowan now was nothing but honesty. "You're gonna get hurt, you know that right?"

"Oh, I know. I'm definitely gonna get hurt. I know that but for her, I don't mind." It was the truth, completely unfiltered, and that scared Stevie.

It didn't take a genius to realise that Rowan Rivera is madly in love with Abby Littman and Abby Littman is madly in love with Rowan Rivera. Even a blind man would be able to tell if they paid enough attention. Looking past the noticeable softness when looking at each other, it was in the little things. It was in the slightest shift of tone when talking about one another. It was in the way their voices would go slightly breathless when mentioning the other's name. It was in the way they always stood by each other no matter how much space there was. It was in the way their eyes found each other first whenever something happened whether it be from happiness, shock or fear. It was in the way their bodies, their feet, would always be facing each other.