𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗹𝘃𝗲.

chapter twelve

{ heavily unedited }

[ trigger warning ; eating disorders ]

FRIDAY CAME BY STEADILY AND ROWAN'S BLACK EYE HAD HEALED PERFECTLY. Not the rest of her body had but at least the visible parts were completely healed. She hadn't talked to Georgia since the week earlier since she stayed in her car when dropping off and picking up Cameron. She noticed how Georgia started to come earlier after the second day but Rowan still didn't talk to her. The same goes for Marcus―he kept his distance after what happened on Monday and Rowan appreciated it.

Abby was doing the opposite.

Rowan only talked to Abby in chem class but Abby hadn't stopped trying to talk to Rowan whenever she could. The only time she didn't was when she was with her friends. Rowan had found out during this week that she had a lot more classes with Abby than she thought―calculus, history, visual arts, economics and Spanish. Thankfully, Ginny was in the last one so Rowan got a break from Abby there.

It was lunch and Rowan was back in the English room since Gitten wanted to talk to her. She didn't doubt that it had something to do with the exam she had left almost completely blank. Rowan was standing in front of his desk, watching as he dug something out from one of his cabinets and placed it on the desk in front of her.

"You want to explain this, Rowan?" There was a bright red F written on the front cover next to her name and Rowan looked down at it dejectedly. She knew it was coming but she still hated seeing it. "This isn't like you," Mr Gitten continued, making Rowan look up at him. "You've never been less than perfect on any of my exams. Nobody else comes close to you. Not even Hunter. This―" he tapped against the exam paper―"this is not a true reflection of you. I am willing to make an exception and let you retake it, using that grade instead of this one."

"I appreciate it but―"

"No buts, Rowan. Don't ruin your perfect grade because of this one little exam. You are the top student in sophomore year and this one grade will ruin that. Take the test again. I'll give you a week to prepare. That'll be all, you can go now," he concluded without giving her any time to refuse the offer. "Go," he repeated, looking towards the door. Sighing, Rowan left the room and regretted it when seeing Abby leaning against the wall opposite the door.

"Rowan..." Abby kicked herself off the wall and Rowan could hear her following behind her as she walked away from the classroom. "Rowan, wait!" Abby grabbed Rowan's wrist, coming to a stop in front of Rowan who paused when feeling Abby's hand on her. "What happened? W-we were friends and now you're acting like I don't exist. I don't...I don't understand why."

"We weren't friends."

"Yes, we were!" Abby looked around when her voice rose, shrinking under the looks she was getting but didn't stop talking when she looked back up at Rowan. "We were. Or at least I considered you one. Was I not a friend to you?"

"Does it matter?"

"It matters to me," Abby said, her voice hush and she looked like she was on the verge of tears, something that made Rowan falter but she didn't let up. Rowan noticed then that Abby was still holding onto her wrist but, instead of pulling her hand back, Rowan let her keep hold. "You're my friend, Rowan."

"That's bullshit. If that was true you wouldn't keep making creep or weirdo jokes with your friends. We weren't friends, I'm just your tutor. As for that, find someone else for the rest of your classes. We can finish the rest of chemistry in school and do the test here too. We're almost done anyway."