Lost in Language

"Azure! Hecate began. Our paths have crossed only in battle, but today I stand before you seeking...an ally." Luz read as Eva and King sat on the chair listening to her tell the tale.

"Luz, you're getting all swoony again." King said.

"Oh come on King It's not like she can help it." Eva said.

"Exactly. Azure is able to befriend everyone, even her biggest rival. I wish I had that kind of power." Luz said.

"I always thought that rivals were either ro help you better yourself and then they would be ruthlessly annihilated." Eva said.

"Yeah,yeah, whatever keep reading I've been sucked into your awful fandom." King said.

"Okay. Suddenly the door swung open--"

*bang!*

"Ding song ding! Hoot, hoot!" Hooty slammed open.

"The book has come to life, burn it!" King yelled as he jumped into Eva's arms.

"There, there King It's okay." Eva cooed the shivering demon.

"Hm?" Luz muttered as she saw a basket in front of the door.

***

"Eda you got a package. It looks like a gift basket." She said.

"It's probably an offering. Ah, being the most powerful witch in the boiling isles has its perks." Eda said.

King pulled the blanket off the basket to reveal a baby sleeping underneath.

"Mmm fresh meat." He said as he rubbed his claws together.

"Nope, not eating that." Luz cringed walking out of the kitchen.

"Witches eating babies is so 1693. What is this?" Eda asked.

"I don't know, but there's a note. Take care of my child till morning... Yiyi?" Eva read out.

"Nope. Babies are awful, not happening, not going through that nightmare again." Eda said.

"Hey!" Eva said, offended.

"What? You were a tiny, whiney, stinky chubby nightmare of a baby." Eda said, making Eva pout.

"Then I guess I'll be handsomely rewarded by the Bat Queen!" King cheered.

"Bat Queen....Reward..." Eda said, tempted as King took out three gold coins.

"Who's the Bat Queen?" Luz asked.

"She's the wealthiest demon on the Boiling Isles. Get in with her and you're set for life. So we keep this thing alive for a few hours and we get paid Easyi. After all, I spent years keeping this one alive." Eda said, ruffling Eva's hair.

"Mom!" Eva groaned trying to swat Eda's hand away.

"Our greatest adventure yet! Learning about love and life through a child's eyes." Luz said.

"Not you. You have to return the books I checked out from the library." Eda said and brought out the books into Luz's arms.

"They're not overdue right?" Eva asked.

"They're not...probably." Eda muttered.

"What?"

"Nothing! Hey why don't you go with Luz, remember she doesn't know the Boiling isles completely, so It'd be reassuring if you went with her." Eda said and Eva stared at her suspiciously.

"...Fine." Eva sighed and walked out and Eda sighed as she wiped off invisible sweat from her brow.

"I don't want them to get the cut of the loot." She grinned.