A STROLL THROUGH THE DESERT

//LYDIA'S POV\\

I for the life of me can't even begin to fathom the sequence of events that took place to land me in this very moment. I was going through the market procuring whatever supplies I could for our walk through the desert. Evie was getting some new clothes, Rick and Jonathan we're working on transportation, and the warden was...I honestly couldn't care less about what he's doing. I just want to get out of here, you never know where a crow might be perched. After last night's events, I can only assume we'll be seeing them again. It's not a coincidence that they attacked a boat ferrying two expedition parties, both of which are heading to Hamunaptra. They're going to be right on our tail the entire way. I can only hope that they'll be merciful if they find us, but I know it's unlikely. 

Rick strolled up beside me and grabbed one of the bags off my shoulder. "How's the shopping going?"

"Better than expected. You'd be surprised what a little bit of flirting can get you. Did you get the camels?"

"Yeah, could've used your bargaining skills back there." 

"It's not like you paid for them. Besides, I'm sure you'll be coming into some money of your own soon enough. You've got a bet to win, no?"

"That I do, so let's get a move on."

......SOMEWHERE IN THE WESTERN DESERT

The blistering heat beat against our skin as we began our journey. With Rick leading our group and the warden providing his less than savory musical talents, I resigned myself to conversing with Jonathan. Sure, the man is a bit cowardly when it comes to confrontation but despite that he's rather funny. Even while I dodged his flirtatious attempts, our conversation flowed easily. We were currently making bets on our siblings.

"$100 on Rick." Jonathan stated confidently.

"I completely disagree. I'm putting my money on Evelyn."

"Might as well fork it over now. If there's anything I know about my sister, she's not one for making romantic advances. Rick will have to make the first move."

"Well let's define the first move then."

"Alright. I'd say...first one to lean in for a kiss."

"Alright then." I reach over and shake his hand. I don't usually make it a habit to gamble but with the lack of entertainment on our journey, I'm willing to give it a go. I have more money than I know what to do with anyway.

As we continued through the deserts over scorching sands and blistering sun, I tried to figure out a strategy for myself. If the Guardians are going to have the monopoly on Hamunaptra, that other expedition party is going to have to go. With limited resources my job becomes harder and harder. Between the diggers, and the other members of the party I wouldn't be able to simply poison their water supply. there's to many of them and the rations will be tight. I also most likely don't have enough poison for such a large group. They'd be sick for a few days at most, but it just won't do. 

I can't just shoot them; I'm out gunned and outnumbered. On top of all that I have to worry about my own party. I have to find a way to take out my target and an entire expedition party, whilst protecting my party and keeping my cover. I need a fucking raise, after this job is over. Especially if I manage to make it out alive. 

As the sun fell and the moon began to rise, I couldn't shake the feeling of being watched. I almost know for a fact we're being watched. Just beyond the ridge was a group of people on horseback watching as we made our way through the sands. I pulled my camel beside Rick's as he focused his sights on the ridge. "That can't be good..."