Chapter Twenty Eight

When Kincaid returned he saw Joanna sitting in a chair and Aílis consoling her. His muscles tensed. Aílis looked to him. "Where is Barclay?" she asked. "Bribing guards," he said. "What has happened?"

"I haven't gotten her to utter a word since she returned," she replied.

"She left her chambers? I ordered both of you not to leave," Kincaid ordered.

"I know, but the maid was gone gathering what we needed and she was pacing like a trapped beast," Aílis admitted.

They suddenly heard a scream of agitation from Carney. "Attend to the children. I will attend to my wife," he ordered. Aílis nodded and went into the other room. Kincaid went to his wife and kneeled before her. "Joanna, what has happened?" Kincaid asked. His reply was her staring blankly into the distance. She did not utter a word. Suddenly the door behind them opened. Both looked to see Barclay. "What has happened?" he asked. Joanna suddenly sprung up dragging Kincaid with her. "Watch the children until we return," she ordered. From the tone in her voice both men dared not question her orders. Joanna led him down a series of long halls. He noticed he saw fewer and fewer people. They finally came to an abandoned hall. Sound was absent other than their foot steps. "Joanna, what is the matter?" he finally asked. She suddenly came to a door. Kincaid stared at the carved wood. He suddenly remembered this door. It was the door to Joanna's chambers. Joanna quickly opened the door and left it open for him to enter. He walked in hesitantly. Light flooded in from the windows revealing how untouched the room was. Dust was upon the furniture and in the air.

The door shut behind them and as Kincaid turned to address his wife he was interrupted by Joanna kissing him. It was an urgent and needy kiss. He, to his displeasure, pulled away. "Joanna, please tell me what has happened?" he asked. She stared at him for a second before resting her head on his chest. He heard her sigh. He took a step back and title her chin up. In Joanna's eyes tears glistened. "Andrew found me outside in the courtyard," she said quietly. Kincaid felt his muscles tense in anger. "He was insane. He fell to his knees before me begging for forgiveness. He rambled on about not saving me and you taking me away. I told him I loved you and I was carrying your child. He went into a fit of rage screaming that the child should be his. My love should be his. I tried to calm him, but he was lost to his obsession," she explain with fresh tears appearing, "He suddenly said he would make me his one way or another." Kincaid was angry. He wanted to go to Andrew and make him bleed. He looked at Joanna. The way she stood there made her look vulnerable. She looked as if she had been violated in the worst possible way.

She had been. Andrew had threatened to touch her, harm her, do anything to her to make her belong to him. Kincaid pressed a hand to the side of her face. Her hand rested upon his holding it there. Kincaid leaned forward and pressed his lips to hers. He felt the tears that made her cheeks wet. The kiss was slow and intimate. They were in no hurry. Joanna felt her back pressed against the wooden door. She heard Kincaid lock the door. He held her face between his hands kissing her softly. "I love you Joanna," Kincaid whispered pulling away for just a moment. Joanna felt out of breath when he traveled down to her neck. "Please Kincaid. Love me slow. Rid the demon's touch that wants to take me. Let me know that I belong to you," she pleaded. Kincaid loved the sound of that. "I will love you slow and steady milady," Kincaid said. He picked her up into his arms, and carried her to the bed.

He laid here down and hovered over her. "I will make it seem we are the only two in existence," he whispered into her ear. He kissed her temple. Joanna shivered in pleasure. "I will kiss every inch of you from your sweet lips to your beautiful legs. I will make love to you like never before," he whispered. He whispered his sweet promises to her knowing he was building the ecstasy. He slowly began to untie the front of her dress. "You belong to me woman," he whispered. Kincaid removed the dress discarding it to the floor. Joanna's pale body lay under him. He threw his boots off and kilt. He hid them both under the furs of the old bed. Slowly Kincaid kissed her neck and moved down between her breasts, her stomach, and so on. He ravaged her neck once more letting his hands roam her body. Joanna moaned. "I won't stop until you cry out my name," he whispered.

~

Just like he promised he loved her slow until she cried out his name. To be in this now corrupt place Joanna felt impure knowing Andrew lusted over her. She felt now protected. She felt that no matter how many men lusted over her, wanted her, or even killed for her Kincaid would always be the man that claimed her heart.

They had returned hours later to their friends who were silently awaiting them with everything prepped. Neither Aílis or Barclay questioned what happened. They only knew that whatever it was it needed to happen. "We have told the nurse maid to hide the children in the wagon already. All that is left is for us to head out," Barclay informed. "The guards have been bribed. They will help us get past the gates." Both women were scared of the threat of being caught. A few hours past and it was late in the night. The air was tense with fear and anxiety when the time came. Joanna stood in the room and tied her cloak. "Stay close and quiet. If I tell you to run do not question or hesitate," Kincaid said sternly. Joanna nodded understanding. Barclay poked his head out into the hall looking around. He signaled when he saw no one in sight. Joanna was terrified. She grasped Aílis's hand while Barclay led the way and Kincaid watched their backs. Slowly and quietly they made their way to the stables. The halls were dark and no servant was in sight.

Aílis saw the fear in Joanna's eyes and gave a reassuring squeeze to her hand. Joanna returned the favor. Slowly they found their way to the stables. Joanna hurried to the wagon to peer inside. She saw the nurse maid at the reins and the three children hidden beneath furs and blankets. Barclay and Kincaid went to retrieve the horses. "Marian, promise me you will keep them quiet. They are not to make a sound," Joanna whispered. Marian nodded understanding the danger. Kincaid handed the reins of her horse to Joanna. Quickly they all mounted up. Barclay was to lead while Kincaid remained in the back. Silently they moved out.

Aílis and Joanna stayed close to the wagon as they traveled towards the walls of the castle. Once past them they would be free. Joanna felt the pit of fear in her stomach. She prayed to the gods that they would watch over them and keep them hidden. They began to pass under the gate. Kincaid noticed from his position his wife sat strange upon her steed. He smirked to himself at his handy work. He knew now wasn't the time to be admiring his love making skills, but he was a man and couldn't help himself. Up above Joanna could hear guards walking their route. They came to the other side. No alarm was sounded, and no yelling was heard. They swiftly made their way out. The gods had heard her prayers. All that was left now was to ride to the Highlands. There they would be safe. There they would be home.