Chapter Thirty

It had spread like wild fire of the birth of their son. When both mother and son were strong enough, a grand celebration was held in honor of the new little highlander. Even though the weather was bleak and cold, the village was full of joy and warmth. Kincaid and Joanna sat upon their thrones in the hall. Joanna held Bran in her arms and watched her sisters play with Carney and the other village children. Many of Kincaid's men congratulated him on his new son. The room suddenly became quiet as the Seer shuffled his way towards Kincaid and Joanna. All stepped back to create a path for the ancient one. The children stopped playing, and were silent. The Seer stood before Joanna and her child. His ancient hand reached up and rested on Bran's small head. He closed his glossy eyes and brought his lips close to the child, mumbling a prayer. The Seer laid a delicate kiss on Bran's brow. The child stirred in discomfort. "This child will do great things for your people, my lady. He will be the pride and joy of you both. The gods are watching over him," he said in a raspy voice. Joanna smiled. "Thank you, my friend. It would be an honor if you joined in our festivities," Kincaid offered. The Seer held up a hand, "No, my son. I am afraid I must adjourn. The gods seek my company. I bid thee farewell." With that said the Seer left the joyous time. The music and laughter started up again, and all was back to the way it was.

Suddenly a group of young girls came up to Joanna. They argued among themselves of who would ask first. Joanna smiled, "Come here." The little girls moved forward closer. Joanna carefully stretched out her child enough for the little girl's to see. All the little girls smiled and squealed with delight.

"He's so cute!" one exclaimed.

"He's so small!" another said

Joanna chuckled at their statements. Each girl bestowed a kiss upon the little infant's brow, and went off to play. "Our child must be the most loved in all the Highlands," Kincaid practically bragged. Joanna smiled, "He must have your charm." Kincaid laughed a hearty laugh and then looked to his son. Suddenly Kincaid stood up and called the hall to silence themselves. "My friends, this truly is a joyous day," Kincaid began, "When I first told my men of me bringing an English bride back to our village I thought they might hang themselves to get to her." The group laughed.

"Most of you, as expected, welcomed my wife Joanna with open arms. For some of my men open beds," once more there was a laugh, "But today we celebrate my son. My son who is proof of why my wife loves me."

The men in the group laughed. Joanna rolled her eyes.

"But who was to think a Highlander and Englishwoman could love one another and have a son. With that being said, a toast to my wife. To giving me my heart's desire; a beautiful wife and a child," Kincaid concluded. Everyone toasted to Joanna and Bran. Joanna just stared at her husband as he took a drink. Kincaid sat down, and the festivities continued. Aílis and Barclay walked up to both Kincaid and Joanna. "You'll here no sweeter words until your next child," Barclay said. They all laughed. Aílis simply hit her husband's chest. "Joanna, may I speak to you privately?" Aílis asked. "Of course," Joanna smiled. She handed off Bran to his father, and Joanna followed Aílis to a secluded part of the hall. Joanna took a glance at Kincaid making sure he was alright. Barclay, luckily, was observing Kincaid to make sure he was holding Bran right. Joanna looked to Aílis. Something appeared to be on her mind. "What is it you wish to discuss?" Joanna asked.

"I've kept this to myself for sometime. I don't want to take any attention away from your and Kincaid's happiness," Aílis informed.

"Alright," Joanna said.

Aílis seemed to think her statement over in her head, "I'm with child again."

Joanna smiled so brightly for her friend. She embraced Aílis quickly. "Oh my goodness, Aílis! Another child! Have you told Barclay?" Joanna asked. Aílis shook her head, "I've been trying to find the right time." Joanna glanced over at Kincaid and Barclay. She looked back to Aílis, "I think now is as good as any." Aílis gave her a look, "Are you sure? I don't wish to take the attention away from little Bran and his proud father."

"When you tell Barclay there will be two proud fathers. You must tell him. Your happiness is also ours," Joanna insisted.

"Alright. Thank you, my friend," Aílis said.

Joanna shooed her off, and Aílis went back to the crowd. Joanna watched as Aílis walked up to her husband. She watched as Barclay's eyes nearly popped out of his head. He looked down to her stomach quickly, and then to her for confirmation. She smiled and nodded. Barclay laughed a hearty laughed and picked up his small wife spinning her around. Kincaid looked in surprise. Barclay set his wife down and yelled at the top of his lungs, "I'M GOING TO BE A FATHER AGAIN!" The crowd cheered and raised their cups to him. Kincaid laughed still cradling his child. Joanna smiled. Everything was so perfect. Aílis and Barclay were expecting once more, and Kincaid was a proud father for the first time. The perfect feeling faded like the smile on her face. She remembered the darkness. She remember the dark promise left before her son was born.

'If your child is born a son I shall kill it and claim you as my own,'

Daven's words echoed in her mind like a plague. A pit formed her stomach, and she began to shake. She was terrified now. It was too late. The news had begun to spread of the new born child. It would only be a matter of days before Daven would arrive to see his new grandchild. Joanna had to steady herself on the wall next to her. What was she to do? If she told Kincaid a civil war would break out. If she didn't then her child might die. She didn't know what to do. She was afraid and confused. How she wished she knew what to do. There was only one person she knew who would give her answers.

~

Joanna snuck silently into the small hut. She had left Aílis to care for Bran if she did not return. Joanna removed her hood and stood in the darkness. "I knew you would come, my lady," the Seer's voice rasped. Joanna stepped forward and sat on her knees in front of the old man. "Seer, I am afraid and confused," she said. "Why, dear one? Your son is healthy and alive, and your husband is loving. Why are you afraid?" he asked.

"I'm afraid of my father-in-law. The day he left he told me that if my child was born a son he would return and slay my child and my husband," she nearly cried.

"Why do you not tell your husband of this?" he asked.

"I am afraid of civil war. Kincaid will fight his father till the end in anger. A chief's duty is to avoid war. I feel I also must uphold that duty," she said.

"Why do you seek my guidance then?" he asked.

"How do I protect my child?" she begged.

The Seer didn't say anything. He stared off into the distance. He suddenly picked up a handful of small bones. He shook them in his hand and then rolled them across the surface of the wood. He hunched over the bones, and began to mumble. "There is only one path you must take to protect your child. You must tell your husband the truth of the snake in his family. War is eminent. It shall come fast and swift from two fronts," he said. Joanna was confused. "War from two fronts?" she asked. He did not answer her question. "You must go, my lady. I have no more to say," he said. Joanna slowly stood up and left the Seer's home. She knew the choice she had to make. She prayed the Seer had guided her right, because she was terrified of the fury that was about to unveil itself.