Chapter Seventeen

Daven had disappeared for near two weeks. Barclay reported that Kincaid's father had been spotted in the village earlier that day. Joanna and Kincaid had been quick to dress and rush to the hall. Kincaid's knee bounced up and down rapidly as he sat and waited. Joanna saw the anger radiating from Kincaid. Joanna reached over and laid a hand on the shaking knee. Suddenly the hall doors opened. Joanna removed her hand and both husband and wife watched Chief Daven enter the hall.

"What is the meaning of this?" Daven asked sounding irritated.

"The meaning of this is one of your men attacking my wife," Kincaid growled.

"I cannot control my men if they wish to have a taken woman," Daven said.

Kincaid clenched his fists till his knuckles turned white. "We are not accusing the man for his lust. We are accusing you of putting him up to it," Kincaid growled.

Daven scoffed, "Why would I order my men to harm your wife?"

"You always have a reason for your orders not matter how savage," Kincaid argued.

"I would hate to disappoint you my son, but unless you have a witness I am an innocent man," Daven argued.

Kincaid looked to Barclay. His face was one of stone. Joanna nor Kincaid saw a sign of emotion. Barclay turned on his heels and went to fetch the prisoner. When Barclay returned he dragged the prisoner with him. The man had dried blood on his face from Kincaid's beating. Barclay pushed the man to his knees. "This is the attacker. I met him the day you arrived," Kincaid said.

Daven stared at the man. Daven was emotionless. "I have never given an order to this man to attack your wife," Daven said looking back to his son. Joanna saw Kincaid was about to explode. Daven was lying to Kincaid. Kincaid was about to begin to yell, but Joanna placed a hand upon his. She leaned in, "You have no witnesses. If you accuse him now it will be like accusing a snake of flying."

Kincaid understood. To accuse Daven of such things without a witness would be accusing an innocent man of murder. Kincaid knew his father was guilty but he needed to prove it. Kincaid didn't want to do it, but he had to.

"Go. Until further evidence is presented you are free to go," Kincaid said.

"An act of mercy? How kind of you, great chief," Daven mocked.

Kincaid burned with anger, "Leave my sight before I change my mind."

Daven smiled towards Joanna and went on his way. Kincaid jumped up from his seat and stormed from the hall. Joanna sat there a moment. She hesitated to chase after Kincaid. She simply stared at the opened doors.

"Give him time," Barclay said.

Joanna looked to the soldier.

"He needs time to cool down. He's always on edge if even the mere mention of Chief Daven enters a conversation," Barclay said coming closer.

"I just worry. With all that anger pent up and unable to be rid of it is a dangerous thing," Joanna said.

Barclay sat on the step in front of Joanna. She joined him on the floor. "I know you don't wish to hear this, but for you not having a child it puts a strain on his rule," Barclay said. Joanna felt herself becoming upset, but she needed to hear this. "Chief Daven arriving and seeing his son's throne without an heir is dangerous for us. He could kill Kincaid, marry you, and take over the tribe," Barclay said.

"Do you not think we are trying?" Joanna asked.

Barclay laughed, "Believe me I know you are. Aílis has told me many stories that you have told her!"

Joanna blushed, "I didn't know if I confided in her everyone would know."

Barclay laughed, "She has a habit of doing that."

They sat in silence for a moment.

"You have to believe me, Barclay, I want to be with child. The gods have not wished it upon us yet," Joanna said.

Barclay thought for a moment. "Why not visit the Seer? I know he speaks with the gods. Maybe he has a way. He helped Aílis and I," Barclay suggested.

Joanna was hesitant when hearing this. Joanna feared hearing she could not bare a child. But the Seer could help her. "It wouldn't hurt, Joanna," Barclay said. Barclay had a point. It wouldn't hurt to try. The solider left Joanna to think. Joanna sat there a moment before deciding to leave the hall. She found her horse and quickly mounted. She didn't say a word to anyone as she rode down the road. Joanna felt a pit of fear in her stomach. She feared hearing the worst, but anticipated to hear the best.

Finally Joanna stopped the steed and slipped off. She carefully walked towards the Seer's door. She opened it and was greeted by the smell of burning herbs. She quickly entered closing the light out with the door. The old man sat hunched over a low lying table with items spread across it. "Come in, child," he murmured. Joanna stepped in more. The room was some how cooler than the outside. It was an eerie chill in the air. Joanna sat before him and watched his old fingers hover over the small items. "I know why you are here," the Seer said.

"Is it that obvious?" Joanna asked.

"No, the gods told me you would arrive asking me of your pregnancy," the Seer said.

Joanna was curious at this. "I'm here for help to be with child not about a pregnancy I do not have," Joanna said.

The Seer looked up at her with his glassy eyes. A small smile cracked his ancient face. "Did you not know? You are with child, my lady," the Seer said.