Chapter Fourteen

Chief Daven had graciously invited himself to a feast that was to be held that night. It was supposed to be in honor of the changing of seasons but Daven made it about his arrival. Kincaid and Joanna sat listening to Daven's men hoot and holler. Joanna glanced at Kincaid. His face was dark with anger. Joanna didn't know what to do. She had no idea what had caused a conflict between father and son, but whatever it was they no longer wished to see or speak to each other.

"Why do you hate your father so?" Joanna whispered.

Kincaid looked to her. "Another time," he replied as Daven approached them. "Thank you Kincaid for hosting this feast for me and my men. It makes up for your rudeness earlier," Daven said. Kincaid was about to leave his seat, but Joanna grabbed his wrist.

"We are very pleased you could join us," Joanna said.

"I am pleased to be in the presence of a young beautiful woman that can control my son," Daven said.

Some of Daven's men laughed. Joanna felt Kincaid tense up. Daven excused himself and Barclay approached. "Do I have your permission to kill these fools?" he growled.

"Go ahead. Just leave my father to me," Kincaid growled.

"I don't understand. Why do you hate him so?" Joanna asked.

Kincaid sighed. "You'll have to tell her eventually," Barclay said dismissing himself. Kincaid ran a hand down his face. "I had just come of age to take over the tribe. The day I was to be announced as Chief my father said he would be continuing his reign as Chief," Kincaid began in a low tone. "After that there was a conflict. My father had become and arrogant fool obsessed with power. He had rallied up some of his followers so he could keep his position. Eventually the elders and seer along with my tribesmen banished him from the tribe. My father and his followers left and started a new tribe to the west."

Joanna couldn't believe the madness she was hearing. "He would have killed me to remain chief," Kincaid concluded. Kincaid glowered in his chair. Joanna saw the hatred he had for the man he once called father in his eyes. Without knowing what else to do Joanna laid a hand on Kincaid's knee. Kincaid had been looking off into the distance until he felt her hand. He looked to her. Slowly Joanna moved her hand up to his inner thigh leaving it there to tease him. He grew a wicked smirk. "Is there something you want my lady?" he asked. Joanna moved in closer. "Only you," she whispered. She started to trace small circles on his inner thigh. Kincaid closed his eyes and stifled a groan of pleasure.

"Leave Barclay in charge. I can't wait forever," Joanna whispered grudgingly moving her hand higher.

Kincaid bit down on his bottom lip and groaned quietly. He was resisting the urge to spread her legs here and take her. He still felt her delicate finger tracing small circles. Joanna had a smirk upon her face as she went just a little higher. Suddenly Kincaid's eyes snapped open. He had a wild look of lust in his eyes. He took her hand and rushed out of the hall.

Unknown to them they were being watched by Daven and his commander.

"She is not with child. It will be easy to claim what is mine," Daven said.

"Do not be so rash Chief Daven," his commander said.

"And why not? She does not carry a son on her hip or in her womb. I could easily over throw my pathetic son," Daven argued.

"Yes you could, but who's to say she isn't pregnant or won't soon be. He is young and virile. It will not be long before Kincaid has a hoard of offspring," his commander argued.

~

Kincaid made his horse gallop as fast as possible back to their home. The second Joanna had slid off the horse Kincaid had her in his arms. He picked her up, and she wrapped her legs around his waist causing her dress to ride up. Their mouthes never left each other and Kincaid made his way towards their bed chambers. Joanna had discarded her shoes and Kincaid fumbled into their bed chambers. He threw her on the bed and fumbled to get his boots off. Joanna stripped naked as he threw his boots to the other side of the room. Within seconds his kilt was gone and he had pounced on her.

Kincaid ravaged her neck and lips like a hungry wolf on its prey. "Kincaid," Joanna groaned.

"Yes, I know be gentle," he breathed.

"No don't," Joanna said.

Kincaid looked at her. All through the winter Kincaid had been careful to be gentle with his small wife and now she wanted more. "Are you sure my love?" he asked. "I do not wish to hurt you."

"The only pain I will feel is the pain of longing if you don't take me," she almost growled.

Kincaid liked the sound of that.

~

Joanna never understood the meaning of pain until that moment. They lay breathless with sweat glistening from their skin. Joanna could still feel the burning sensation in her lower half.

"You don't know how long I've waited to show you that pleasure," Kincaid breathed.

Joanna let out a small laugh. "I'm sorry it took so long," she breathed. Kincaid chuckled. He wrapped his arm tighter around her. "I love you Joanna," Kincaid said. It took a moment for Joanna to realize what he was saying. "I love you too Kincaid," Joanna replied. Kincaid was more than thrilled to hear those words. He loved Joanna dearly, and knowing she loved him the same way was more than amazing. Even though the moment was perfect Kincaid knew tonorrow would bring the same problems. The matter of Joanna's sister and his father were still there.

Kincaid didn't know how he was going to handle both situations. He would not worry about it at the moment. He wanted to savor this moment with Joanna because it might be one of the last few they have for sometime.