nine

⋆。˚ ☁︎ ˚。⋆。𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞 | the kitchen shuffle

THE FEELING OF exhilaration pumped through the veins of y/n's body the mere seconds following her awakening-- she had held onto the giddy feeling obtained after sae-byeok's soft kiss on her forehead last night while sae-byeok thought she was sleeping. y/n smiled to herself for a few seconds until she realized--

what the hell... 

y/n shuffled around realizing that she was by herself. 

she isn't here anymore. damn it, sae-byeok left and i'm not sure when she's returning.

it had been too good to be true.

y/n sighed, rubbing her eyes one last time before getting up to get her day started. sae-byeok might have not been there, but the frisson of excitement she gave y/n stuck while y/n brushed her teeth, took a shower, and did other tasks necessary to start her day.

now fully awake, cleansed, and somewhat energized, y/n was in the kitchen, subtly shuffling to the music that played on her little stereo-- something she only did if she was really happy. the first time she met kevin, she came home and shuffled to september by earth wind and fire. the second time was when she first opened her vendor shop for the first time, and that night she danced to chances by kaytranada. the third time was when she thought she was going back home, and she poorly danced to sweetener by ariana. now, she was twisting and turning her body to the instrumental of go dj, which seemed to have provided her energy without any physical supplement-- just pure serotonin.

"isn't it too early to be this energetic?" y/n heard a recognizable voice speak behind her, causing her to rapidly stop her motions and turn off the music in less than a second. y/n laughed in embarrassment, while sae-byeok stood from behind the counter with two bags in her hand, looking just a bit amused.

"how long were you watching me for?" y/n asked uneasily, shuffling random things in the kitchen to pretend that she was busy. 

"long enough to know that you are not a good dancer," sae-byeok responded just a bit humorously . she pushed one bag across the counter to y/n, and from the temperature and aroma, y/n could tell it was food. "i bought us breakfast but i did not think you would be up when i came back."

y/n smiled and thanked sae-byeok for her kind gesture, almost forgetting her dance party just a few minutes prior. "it smells so good sae, let's eat in the living room so we can watch the news together," she said, turning away to lead sae-byeok to their new dining area.

"don't call me sae," y/n heard sae-byeok mumble as she followed behind. y/n laughed in her mind because let's face it, she was still going to call her sae anyway. after all, friends give nicknames to each other, right?

despite the newly rising friendship between the two, sae-byeok still gave a considerable amount of space between herself and y/n on the couch, clueless to y/n's knowledge about the kiss the night prior. it was all y/n could think about after all. sae-byeok did in fact have a soft side and y/n was aware of it whether or not sae-byeok liked it or not. would y/n let sae-byeok know? probably not. after all, y/n's fear was that her friendship with sae-byeok would end faster than it began if she did one wrong thing.

to avoid uncomfortable silence between the two, y/n turned on the tv to the news channel like she insisted she would, and deep inside she hoped a topic could inspire a conversation between herself and her new friend. sae-byeok seemed like she had strong political views anyway.

"you don't sell anymore," sae-byeok said abruptly, looking at her food instead of y/n when she spoke. y/n was confused for a while, until it finally clicked in her head. her job as a vendor.

"oh, yeah," y/n said, really not wanting to relive her pain during that moment. "i don't have the money to continue anymore." 

of course money was a part of a bigger problem, but her situation was not something y/n wanted to discuss with sae-byeok at the moment. she had too many of her own.

sae-byeok responded silently with a nod before continuing to eat her breakfast. was that all she wanted to ask? y/n was secretly hoping sae-byeok would ask more, but she knew that sae-byeok was not a person to express much— if that kiss did mean anything, y/n wouldn't know it until sae-byeok was ready to tell her, and only god knows when that would be.

y/n's focus shifted back to sae-byeok, watching her from the corner of her eye as she finished her food up and went to throw away the stryofoam container. she put on her jacket and backpack, and it was then y/n knew that she was leaving.

"i'll be back later," sae-byeok said, as she was reading y/n's mind. "it might be later when i stop by, just so you know."

y/n hummed, not wanting to ask her mysterious friend about her future whereabouts. however, an idea sparked in her mind about how she can build her friendship with sae-byeok, and it was then that she remembered something, something that would perhaps build a little trust between the two.

"before you leave, can i show you something?" y/n asked hopefully. sae-byeok looked at y/n unsure before nodding yes.

y/n got up and led sae-byeok to her room, opening up the window near her bed in which she was greeted with a faint chilly breeze.

"at any time you can enter through this window," y/n explained to sae-byeok, showing her the broken latch that failed to lock the window. "i've been meaning to get it fixed but since i don't have a spare key, i use the window as an alternative to get in during emergencies."

sae-byeok blankly looked y/n, then her window. she couldn't quite comprehend why y/n was being so trusting in her and immediately thought how easy it would be to take advantage of her if she wanted to. she's so naive, sae-byeok thought, i should keep a better eye on her.

"noted," sae-byeok said. "i'll see you later, and i'll remember the window just in case."

"okay, i'll see you later! be safe!" y/n said, emphasizing the last part.

"i'll try to," sae-byeok mumbled, but not loud enough for y/n to hear.

words: 1111, ironic bc i have been seeing sm angel numbers lately lmao

(a/n: hey guys, i changed the narration on here by accident so instead of it being the reader's pov, it's a 3rd pov. do you guys like it? let me know. )