Nicknames

Piper and Annabeth leaned against the stone wall and peered across the school carpark. The hot sun blazed down and Annabeth tapped her fingers along the wall.

“I thought you said the football boys were giving us a ride?” she accused, grey eyes glaring at her best friend.

Piper played with her permed hair which she had left out today. “Well yeah. I spoke to the tall red haired one and he practically begged me to let him take me home.” She sighed. “But he probably found a hot cheerleader to get off with or something.”

“Is that them?” Annabeth queried, raising her hand to her eyes. Across the carpark a blue chrysler drove in and pulled up. “Wow that’s a flash car.”

Inside was not the football boys as expected, but Percy Jackson, a weird curly haired boy with greasy overalls on and her crush, Jason. He grinned at her from his position behind the wheel.

“Did some rude boys show you ladies up?” he asked in his baritone voice. Piper almost squealed with excitement.

“Yeah they did actually” she leaned on the door and winked. “You wouldn’t mind giving us a ride would you?”

Jason cheeks flushed. “Of course. Hop in the back with Leo.” Piper gave him a dazzling smile then proceeded to do so. She thought she heard Percy mutter ‘she’s got you lovesick mate’ from the passenger seat. It made her cheeks glow.

“Hey ladies” Leo grinned as they slid into the seats either side of him. He stretched his arms out around their shoulders. Annabeth gave him a death glare and Piper rolled her eyes.

“Don’t try anything funny Valdez” Percy turned around to face them. “After all wouldn’t want my brilliant lab partner to ruin her hands.” Annabeth went red and Piper had to stifle her giggles.

“Wouldn’t dare make a move on your girl Perce” he replied cheekily. Now it was Percy’s turn to go red and Jason coughed.

“Alright shall we get going?” he suggested.

“Good idea” Percy agreed and they pulled out onto the street.

“Where do you live Piper?” Jason asked. “And Annabeth” he added as an afterthought.

“Stuff that” Leo quirked. “Let them come with us to the diner if they’re keen. It’ll be a blast.” He wiggled his eyebrows at Piper. “What do you think Beauty Queen?”

She raised her eyebrows. “I’m keen Repair Boy. How about you Annabeth?”

“Yeah Annie you keen?” Leo smirked.

“Don’t call me Annie!” she raised a finger in front of his nose. “Or I’ll beat your face in. But yeah, I’d like to come.” Leo gulped and nodded.