Boys, Girls or One of Each

"Can you bring home some pickles and cottage cheese?" Carina asked when Maya called her after her shift.

"It's 9 am," Maya said, laughing, "Are you sure that's what you want?"

"Si," Carina said, sitting down on the couch as she talked to her wife, "Well, I don't know if I want it, or if it's piccolo and patatino, but that is the only thing that sounds good right now."

Maya smiled at hearing the nicknames Carina had given the twins about a week ago. The Italian was now 14 weeks pregnant, and both of them felt like they could breathe. Carina was now at a much lower risk for a miscarriage, and the babies were both doing well, according to their first regular OB appointment they had had the day before, before Maya went to work.

It was still too early to find out if they were having boys or girls or one of each from the ultrasound, but Carina had decided to do a blood test in two weeks that would tell them the babies' genders. It didn't matter to either of them, but they knew they were going to have to name two humans and that needed more than just a few days in the hospital after they were born to decide.

Carina had given them nicknames that both she and Maya had started calling them, both of them finally feeling like it was safe to start bonding with the babies now that they were pretty likely to stick around.

"Well, I will grab that stuff on my way home from work," Maya said, "Anything else? Do we still have enough peanut butter for you?"

"We probably need more," Carina said guiltily.

There were still a lot of food that made her feel icky but putting peanut butter on it seemed to make everything more palatable. Two nights prior, Carina had added peanut butter to her pizza which she was not happy about, but it allowed her to eat one of her favorite foods without feeling like she was going to be sick.

"I'll bring some home," Maya said, adding it to her mental list, "See you in thirty minutes. Love you."

"Love you too," Carina said, hanging up.

The brunette just sat on the couch, watching a movie with one hand resting on her now noticeable baby bump. She and Maya had gone shopping for new clothes that would actually fit her and her ever growing belly.

Despite that, Carina still preferred to walk around the house in only her underwear and one of Maya's t-shirts which were almost too small. Carina was really starting to enjoy being pregnant, now that the anxiety had started to ebb a little, and despite having spent the bulk of her career with pregnant women, this gave her a whole new appreciation for what the female body could do.

She rubbed her bump, pulling out her phone and adding another possible name to her ever growing list of baby names.

She knew she needed to get up and get ready for the day, and for work which started at noon, but she was so tired. Sleeping had been getting harder, mostly because she had to pee all the time. She didn't even realize she had fallen asleep until she heard the garage open and Maya walk into the house.

"Bella," Carina said, smiling sleepily as Maya walked over to the couch.

"Were you sleeping?" Maya asked, pressing a kiss into Carina's forehead.

"I think so," Carina said, nodding, "I was up almost every hour last night to use the bathroom."

"I'm sorry," Maya said, frowning.

"It is fine," Carina said, shrugging as she got up, "Did you bring breakfast?"

"You mean pickles and cottage cheese?" Maya asked, laughing, "Yeah. It's in the kitchen along with hot chocolate from the place by the grocery store." "It is so weird to me that that sounds like it would go great with the pickles."