Surprise

"So what color are you thinking for the nursery?" Maya asked as they sat down for breakfast.

Carina was 22 weeks pregnant, and they both were realizing that their little girls were going to be there before they knew it.

Maya had spent her last day off cleaning out a room that had been used as an office/workout room since they moved into this house almost two years ago. They were planning on turning that room into the twins' nursery. Maya had gotten rid of the desk that they almost never used and moved her treadmill into the basement.

"I was thinking maybe green?" Carina said, "Or maybe light grey? Mason has told me probably 10 times that he will paint a mural if we want on the wall."

"He's told me the same thing," Maya said, nodding, "Do you think we should let him?"

"His art is pretty incredible," Carina said, shrugging, "And it would be nice."

"Alright," Maya said, nodding, "Well, good, because I have an idea of what he could paint."

"What is it?" Carina asked, taking a bite of her peanut butter toast, a staple breakfast food for her these days.

"It's a surprise," Maya said, smiling at her wife, "But I promise you will love it."

"Fine," Carina said, rolling her eyes playfully at the fire captain, leaning over and giving her a small peck on the cheek.

"I need to get going," Maya said, looking at her watch, "You work at noon, right?"

"Si," Carina said, "Noon until 8."

Maya nodded, going upstairs to finish getting ready for her day. Once she had everything she needed, she grabbed her bag, heading downstairs.

"Have a good day Bella," Carina said, giving her a kiss, "Be safe. I love you."

"I love you too," Maya said, smiling as she kissed her wife, her hands on the ever-growing bump, feeling the twins kick and punch as she did so.

They both smiled at each other, just enjoying the moment.

"Alright," Maya said, "I'll call you tonight if we don't have too many calls."

Maya headed out the door, walking the five blocks to the station with a smile pasted on her face, thinking about how she was the luckiest woman in the entire world.

"You cannot tell Carina about this," Maya said as she and half her team arrived at Grey Sloan around 7 pm.

They had been called to a 4 alarm fire and just as they were about to leave the building, a ceiling had collapsed, injuring Maya, Travis, Vic, and Robert. They were all sent to the ER to be checked out per station protocol, but also because they were all hurting pretty bad.

"I think that might be a little tricky," Travis said as he limped into the ER.

Carina was seeing a patient, but her eyes instantly widened upon seeing the 19 crew staggering in. As they all walked up to the nurses station, Carina tried desperately hard to keep her attention on her patient and not on her wife who was clearly favoring her left arm.

The firefighters were taken back to two rooms, all of them insisting they were fine and didn't need to take valuable resources from anyone else. Maya was paired in a room with Vic, and a nurse came in, taking their vitals and giving them a preliminary exam.

Vic had been knocked in the head and had a laceration on her scalp along with a possible concussion because her helmet had been knocked off. Maya's shoulder was crazy sore, and probably dislocated.