Hello

"Hello world." My chubby face said as it entered the lobby of life.  I didn't know what my future held or what it entailed, all I knew was…  nothing.  I was a baby.  I just waltzed into an unknown space with no knowledge of what was going on.  But Life beckoned me to follow, so I did.

"Hello Home!" My chubby face said as it entered the first room.  I was a toddler.  I'd made some mistakes… like sticking a m&m up my nose and knowingly doing my business where business is not to be done, but I learned!  I think.  Maybe…. We shall see.  I was a curious child.  I tried things that an adult knows doesn't work by logic, but a child thinks… maybe it can.  In any case, Life went on, so I followed.

"Hello Stranger!" My little face said as it entered the next room.  I was a young child.  I didn't ever know quite what I wanted or if I wanted it, so I thought I might as well try to be as annoying about it as possible to see if that helped… well it didn't.  I somehow got through that room without breaking a bone or getting severely injured.  Life started to slow down so I could catch up before moving on to the next room.

"Hello Someone!" My roundish face said as I looked around the next room.  It was full of people I recognized but didn't… know… but they knew me.  I was a child.  I was lost.  Where was I?  Where was Life?  The people pointed out doors they thought I should walk through.  They each had a different one in mind.  Out of the crowd Life reached out their hand. "Don't go the wrong way." They guided me gently through the crowd.  "This is the one I have prepared for you.  Will you take it?". I was overwhelmed by the choices, but I looked at Life's face.  It was gentle, but worn by hardship. It was kind, but there were lines of worry.  I walked through the door.

"Hello Friend." I announced as I charged into the next room.  I was in middle school.  I looked around, but no one responded to my announcement.  I thought maybe they didn't hear me, so I tried again.  No answer.  I looked at Life.  They never stopped moving, but it was a slow, agonizing pace.  How long would this last?  Do I have to go on?  What if I just stopped right here?  Can I?  I don't want to go on.  I don't have anyone.  Life just glanced at me with pity.  I looked around and ask one more time if I had a friend.  Two people look at me.  They remind me that they are there for me.  Life started to pick up it's pace again, but I didn't want it to now.  I finally had something good.  But it was time to move to the next room.

"Hello." I said with my head down.  I didn't want to go through the same pain as last time.  But it was different somehow.  People started to notice me.  Afew came up to me and said… "Friend"... I wanted to cry.  I wanted to laugh.  Is this what it's like?  Life just kept on going, but I wanted to linger.  Life grabbed my arm and dragged me.  More people started calling me their friend.  I didn't know what to do, but now they are with me. And Life goes on.  

It's almost time for the next door.  How will I greet it?  What response will I get?  I can ask, but I won't know until I get there.  All I can do is just follow Life.

C'est la vie, mais amie.