Scene #4

"You need to stop doing that, Aric!" Japeth exclaimed as he leapt backward, dangerously close to the edge of the roof.

"You look so cute when you're scared, pumpkin." The dark-haired boy smirked as he reached out and ruffled Japeth's copper hair.

"And you look so cute when you get put in your place." Japeth retorted. "Usually, it gives me a flush if nothing else."

"You sly fox." Aric smirked.

"And here I thought I was a Snake?" Japeth replied mischievously.

"You're a pumpkin." The sadist told him.

"Got me there, but what are you?" The twin wondered.

Aric saddened up as he answered. "You already know. I'm a monster."

"I am, too. I guess that makes me a pumpkin monster." Japeth joked as he draped an arm over Aric's shoulders.

"Jack O'Lantern." Aric corrected, leaning into Japeth's offered embrace.

"Very funny," Japeth snorted. "Dropping hints that you'll carve me up like one?"

"Nah, but your brother I can't safely deny."

"Don't torture him without me." Japeth said forcefully.

"I'll start, and you can finish......if there's anything left of him." Aric slanted a smirk to Japeth, who sighed defeat. 

"I'll give you first crack, but I get something because I'm his twin. Regretfully."

"Regretful, indeed. At least you exist, or else I'd be dead or jailed." Aric acknowledged.

His boyfriend sighed. "For killing my brother, no doubt."

"Or some other loser jerk that doesn't deserve to breathe." Aric agreed.

"Oh, Aric, what am I going to do with you?" Japeth teased, leaning in.

"Kiss me, for one thing. For another, we can see where it leads."

"You sly fox." Japeth gave him his kiss anyway, more than happy to oblige. Then, he reached down and grasped Aric's hand. "What if we came to class tomorrow like this?"

"Your brother would explode and Friedgund would sniff haughtily." Aric replied, dead-on.

"Who cares?"

"I do, Japeth. I'm not ready to give Friedgund something to coo over and treat us like disgusting saps." Aric looked down at their clasped hands.

"You think I'm disgusting?" Japeth whimpered.

"No, that came out wrong. She would be the disgusting sap."

"No different from usual." Japeth snorted.

"True. But you know what I love about you, Japeth?" The boy switched tracks fast enough to give Japeth just the right amount of instinct to shake his head. In truth, he didn't.

The violet-eyed boy raised their linked hands tenderly. "You're always there whenever I need you. You're the supporting shoulder I can count on, the presence that's always there for me to lean against." Here he touched shoulders with the ice-eyed boy before continuing.

"You're considerate and the only person who understands me. Unlike others, you don't prejudge or make fun of me or treat me like I'm some sort of disgusting animal. You've accepted me for who I am, and I can come to you with anything without being disappointed. You're the presence in my life that keeps me going. God damnit, I'm beyond loving you, Japeth. I'm crazy about you."

"I couldn't live without you as well," Japeth responded happily, bumping shoulders again as he said so. "You make me who I am, Aric. And you cleared my heart. That's what we are: two poisoned hearts who are each other's antidotes. I love you."

Japeth leaned in and they kissed in a starburst of emotion.

"Damn, eventually you know I'll lose my restraint." Aric pointed out as he leaned away, star-crossed.

"What restraint?" Japeth snorted, his scims curling slyly away from his neck.

"The restraint that's keeping me from taking you right on this roof," the dark-haired boy answered, violet eyes locked dead on the scims slithering near Japeth's throat.

"You wouldn't," Japeth teased, though he didn't believe himself.

"Wanna bet, pumpkin?" Aric caught on to the doubt in Japeth's tone and his mouth curled in a smirk.

The scims slid faster down Japeth's neck, spurned by the spike of panic the copper-haired boy felt. They settled in a scaly necklace just below his collarbone, his vampire-like skin glowing in the moonlight.

Aric's eyes glossed over him repeatedly, lingering on Japeth's neck, the violet-eyed boy like a predator. As the boy's eyes traveled, a flush bloomed larger on Japeth's cheeks, which shone just as bright.

Aric slowly leaned closer, Japeth doing the same despite his protests, flush spreading with each heartbeat. When they were close enough to touch, a sudden noise startled them out of it. Japeth's scims slid back up his neck, and Aric dove out of sight, crouched in a taut position.

"Japeth? Are you there?" An annoying voice called in a tone full of fake concern.

"Yes, Rhian, I'll be right down," Japeth answered with an eye roll. Aric scowled, his mouth tightening with Japeth's agreement.

"What were doing up there, anyway?" His twin asked curiously.

"Reflecting on what Dean Brunhilde advised," Japeth lied with another eye roll.

"That's wonderful, I'm so glad you're finally straightening out, brother!"

Japeth made a face as Rhian's response, and turned to who Aric, who made a gagging gesture.

"Are you coming or not?" Rhian demanded. "Dean Brunhilde wants to speak with you. She said it was urgent."

"Coming!" 

"Before you go to Hell, here's a bit of Heaven," Aric murmured, suddenly at Japeth's side. He gave the copper-haired boy a kiss.

"As cute as you'd look in shackles, I can't chain you up here away from that Witch. Have fun," he winked and jumped off the roof after ruffling Japeth's hair.

Japeth gulped and made his way back into the building, where Rhian-and Dean Brunhilde-were waiting.